Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_lou24

Current Botulism cases

Linda_Lou
11 years ago

The Oregon State Public Health Lab has confirmed that three Central Oregon residents,who were hospitalized, contracted botulism at a private barbeque. Deschutes County Health Services has conducted an investigation and implicated home-canned food as the source of the Botulism. Final testing results are pending. This was an isolated incident and Deschutes County Health Services has notified all involved individuals. Botulism in NOT spread person to person so there is no risk to the general public as a result of these cases.

I have no other information yet. Not as to what the food was. This was recently in July.

Comments (12)

• cannond
    11 years ago

This interests me particularly because I frequently attend potlucks or BBQ's, parties, etc. where home canned goods are used in the foods. There are frequently corn relishes, salsas, bbq sauces and tomato products, even the occasional canned green beans.

I always worry....I don't know the canning practices of the producers. Moreover, I frequently receive gifts of canned food from those who know I can. How do you folks handle this?

Any more information on the source of the botulism?

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Earlier this year there were recalls of tofu, fish, carrot juice and jarred soup (all commercially produced) because of botulism concerns. I love how people point out home-canned foods as a "common source" of botulism. Yes, home canners need to be aware of proper procedures but I think it's just too easy to point fingers.

I'd like to know if they've found the source of the toxin in this case.

Unfortunately, you can't avoid every potential source with new commercial recalls all the time, but unless you know how someone approaches home canning, I'd avoid veggies, salsas, and relishes. BBQ sauce may not be as bad (tomato and vinegar plus heat from grill), but you could always opt for a burger instead of chicken or ribs. I also avoid baked potatoes in restaurants and at BBQs.

• cannond
    11 years ago

"I also avoid baked potatoes in restaurants and at BBQs."

And grilled onions!

People rarely bring jams or preserves to these events; it's always condiments.

I think I'll continue to eat the salsas and relishes, avoid the un-vinegared vegetables... and take my risks. Lord knows I take risks every time I eat food anywhere that I didn't preserve and prepare myself. That includes restaurants, markets, grocery store canned goods, fairs...you name it.

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

Just curious. Why would you want to avoid a baked potato at a restaurant?
    Joann

• cannond
    11 years ago

In the last year or two, baked potatoes (wrapped in foil) and grilled onions have been implicated in several botulism cases. They were served in restaurants. The onions were coated in oil and had set under a heat lamp.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

In this case I don't believe it's pointing fingers as investigation has already implicated home-canned foods as the source. But further testing is being conducted to determine more specifically the strain of botulism.

I hope more exact information will be forthcoming.

Right now my guess would be salsa and perhaps some kind of dill pickle, as many of the old recipes have very low vinegar:water ratios. (People aren't always aware that originally many of these low-ratio recipes used stronger vinegars, i.e. 10% strength.)

Annie (of Annie's salsa) recounted in an old thread her family's experience with poisoning at a picnic. In that case it was pickled mushrooms.

There have been numerous discussions discussing how members approach gifted home-canned items and canned foods at potlucks, reunions, barbecues and other gatherings.

It is true that home-canning is but one source of food-related botulism. However, if you follow basic safe preserving principles, it's totally preventable.

The part of the U.S. west of the Rockies has the highest level of soil-borne botulism so that is a region where it may be particularly beneficial to exercise care.

Carol

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

I was thinking about the baked potato. When I get a baked potato at a restaurant it is served piping hot! I thought Botulism toxin was deactivated by heat? I can see getting it if the potato was cold but who would want to eat a cold baked potato...just wondering.
    Joann

• Linda_Lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Because pototoes are grown in the ground, the spores that cause botulism can survive on them. The spores can grow potatoes that are wrapped in foil, baked, and left in the foil for periods after baking. The foil creates an oxygen-reduced environment. This, coupled with warm room temperatures and moisture, create a prime environment for the bacteria to grow. Potatoes baked in foil and not immediately consumed should be removed from the foil and stored in the refrigerator.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I'm not really good with words - I do believe that this case was caused by home-canned foods (just waiting to hear what), but I thought the way the news article put it was misleading - like the main cause of botulism was (improper) home canning when we've had all these recalls/scares. As you said, it's just one source, at this rate I don't know if it can be called the most common source. They could have at least mentioned baked potatoes ;-)

I didn't know about the onions - though I avoid most onions, esp. raw.

• cannond
    11 years ago

Yes, the onion thing crushed me. I really like grilled onions, although, to tell the truth, I don't frequent many haute cuisine establishments and so I usually get to watch the onions grilled right in front of me. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Sigh...I live so far from town and I don't feel like cooking tonight.

When will they come out with the final verdict? Why so long?

• Linda_Lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was sent to CDC as far as I know. So, they can take time in determining the cause, and then to report it to the public. Once it is reported as botulism, it is sent to CDC.
    If I hear any more I will let you know.