Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victrola_gw

Fig butter: safe for canning?

victrola
18 years ago

In another thread, Spacific posted a recipe for fig butter:

The fig butter turned out pretty well. After cooling, I just put into the fridge since for this batch I'll probably use it as a filling for a tart or shortbread. It came out really well, like a very fresh and less-sweet version of fig newton filling. As I have probably 50 lbs. worth of fresh figs that will be ripening over the next couple of weeks, I will definitely need to make larger batches and preserve the butter. I think it will be the perfect flavor for holiday baking.

Next batch I make, I will probably increase the sugar, zest and vanilla a bit as the green/yellow variety of figs I have are a bit on the bland side. If your figs are on the sweet side, the recipe will probably be just right.

FIG BUTTER

500g figs, stems removed

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup port

1 Tbs lemon juice

2 tsp grated orange zest

dash of vanilla extract

2 Tbs unsalted butter

Place the figs in a blender and blend to a pulp.

Cook fig pulp in a saucepan for 30 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally to prevent sticking.

Add sugar, port, juice, zest and vanilla and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir through butter. Spoon into sterilized jars and cap securely.

That recipe looks delicious. But is it safe for canning, or is it intended for imminent consumption (or freezing)? If I recall correctly, figs are one of the few fruits that are not high enough in acid to safely preserve in a boiling water bath. I wonder if the amount of port and lemon juice would be sufficient. Also, the addition of butter makes me suspicious.

Comments (38)

• Linda_Lou
    18 years ago

The butter needs to be left out if it were canned. Will have to check on how much lemon juice. It may need to be frozen, like pumpkin butter, but I will see what I can find out later.
    I don't know how much 500grams of figs would be.

• spacific
    18 years ago

Victrola,
    Thanks for posting that. I was going to do so myself. The recipe was from an Australian MSN site. It didn't go into specifics about the canning procedure, and from my limited knowledge of canning at this point, I was thinking that I would also leave out the butter.

Linda Lou, 500 grams is just over a pound (1.1....). I appreciate any help from the experts here, because the recipe did turn out quite well, and I'd really like to have some on hand for winter baking. I don't think leaving the butter out would make any difference for my intended use.

• Linda_Lou
    18 years ago

Fig Jam
    2 quarts chopped fresh figs (about 5 pounds)
    6 cups of sugar
    3/4 cup of water
    1/2 cup of lemon juice

To prepare chopped figs: Cover figs with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain, stem, and chop figs.

Combine figs, sugar and 1/4 cup of water in a large sauce pot. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook rapidly until thick. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add lemon juice and cook 1 minute longer. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 15 minutes on a boiling water bath. Yields about 5 pints.

Adding the port, orange zest, and vanilla will be fine. Canning figs plain, in sugar, you add bottled lemon juice as you would for tomatoes, 1 T. per pint, 2 T. per quart. That will give you a good idea of how much lemon juice to use in your fig butter.

• spacific
    18 years ago

Linda_Lou,
    When searching more on the web for fig canning info, some sites said to use the pressure canning method.... maybe this year I'll just freeze the jam. I like the lower sugar in the recipe I used and I also used fresh lemon juice (which I'm learning is a no-no due to the uncertainty of the acidity levels).

• victrola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If I recall correctly, reducing the sugar level doesn't affect the food safety of jams that will be water bathed (acidity is the deciding factor)??? But that lower sugar products may go mouldy faster after opening???

I don't care for the preservative flavour of bottled lemon juice. I think you might substitute citric acid powder (see canning tomatoes for the equivalencies of lemon juice and citric acid powder).

Hope this helps!

• Linda_Lou
    18 years ago

Yes, you can safely use citric acid crystals instead of the bottled lemon juice.
    It is safe to water bath can figs as long as you acidify them. It is still a USDA approved method for them. Of course, pressure canning is fine, too.
    The low sugar jams do get moldy much quicker than a regular jam once opened. Fruits, (except for figs and Asian pears, that needed added acid), are high enough in acid to water bath can with no sugar .

Here is a link that might be useful: MSUE food safety on cannng figs.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    18 years ago

LindaLou, any updates on modifying Spacific's recipe for a 10-15 minute BWB? I have two fig trees too, and I'm also looking for a low sugar (Pomona? Spacific, Whole Foods in Torrance carries it!) butter/jam. I like her recipe, but I don't want to BWB for 45 minutes, and although I have a pressure canner, I'm not ready to take that on quite yet.

Good to 'see' you, Spacific.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    18 years ago

Oh. My. God.

This stuff is amazingly too good. I'm not giving ANY of these away. Well, maybe next batch. Spacific, you done good. You can come on up any time, lets start canning together.

I modified the recipe since 1 lbs. of figs is too small a batch to make. Took out the butter. And, as four lbs of figs yielded 5 half pints, I think it can be expanded even more. I'd like to take out some of the sugar as I think it's too sweet.

FIG BUTTER

4 lbs figs, stems removed
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup port
    1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
    1 Tbs grated orange zest (I use a smidgen of Boyajian orange oil)
    dash of vanilla extract

Cut the figs into quarters or more. Place in a sauce pan, mash if needed, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring with a silicone spatula occasionally to prevent sticking.
    Add sugar, port, juice, zest and vanilla and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Spoon into sterilized jars and cap securely. This yielded me 5 half-pints and a couple of spoonfuls.

• malonanddonna
    18 years ago

The recipe Linda Lou posted looks like it would be awfully sweet. I put up 12 jj's of fig jam this weekend using Pamona's and here's the recipe that I used:

Fig Jam w/Pomona's Pectin

2 quarts chopped fresh figs
    2 1/2 cups of sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    3/4 cup of water
    3 tsp calcium water
    3 tsp of pectin

I covered the figs with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes before draining and chopping in the food processor. Placed them in a pot along with water, lemon juice and calcium water and heated to boiling. Mixed the pectin and sugar together and added to the jam. Added the honey as the last step and then processed for 15 minutes in my steam canner.

Malon

• athagan
    18 years ago

Butter is commonly used to reduce foaming in jams so I don't see why it would have to be left out in this fig butter. I've never found a need to use it myself, but many others do. Providing the acidity is right there shouldn't be any problems with it.

The fig jams I've made this year have been lower sugar types using six cups of fig pulp, three cups of sugar, one tablespoon of lemon or lime juice per cup of figs, and no-sugar pectin. All have set well and the flavor is excellent. You could probably reduce the lemon juice to one tablespoon per pint, but I like a bit extra for the affect on the flavor.

I like the sound of this fig butter. I've still got some figs in the freezer so I think I'll try it. Have to remember to buy some port wine.

.....Alan.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

I wish I had this problem. Figs cost the earth here.

If you're using butter to reduce foaming, that wouldn't be more than about 1/2 teaspoon per batch. Two tablespoons is way above that.

Figs are very dense. They also have a pH around 5.05-5.98. 4.6 pH is the upper end for water bath preservation. As Linda Lou mentioned earlier, with added acidity figs can be safely water bathed, but the additional butter complicates the issue. Unless it's a tested recipe, it's just better to leave it out.

Carol

• harleylady
    18 years ago

Carol, where are you in Oregon? I was in Eugene last week and saw a huge fig against a south facing wall that was just covered with figs. I was tempted to knock on the door and ask for some as they were just dropping on the ground. Now I'm wishing I had. If you would like a fig start, let me know as I have several small ones from rooted cuttings.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the offer, HarleyLady. Unfortunately, we're running out of room to plant. I'm agitating for some grape cuttings from the family farm. I'd better not push my luck with figs too!

Actually the neighbor has a fig tree. Of course, she really loves figs, but I have hopes she'll share the extras.

P.S. I live between Portland and Astoria right near the mighty Columbia.

Carol

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

My first year fig tree in a big pot has about 30 figs on it this year. Any trick to fertilizing? The figs are a bit larger than marbles right now. I only hope that they will get to maturity before the weather gets too cold.. It was bought last fall and had been stored in a big pot indoors all winter. I'm giving it regular organic based fertilizers (mostly fish based).

• harleylady
    18 years ago

I know that area--I used to live across the river from Astoria. I don't fertilize my figs that are in the ground, just top dress with compost so as not to get excessive vegetative growth. A fig in a pot is going to need some nutrition though. You mentioned bringing it indoors last year--did you treat it as a houseplant or let it go dormant in a cool place? If you let it go dormant over the winter, then you wouldn't want to fertilize it now as it would stimulate a lot of new tender growth. 'Scuse my OT post.

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Ken,
    So nice to hear from you! Good luck with your fig. I had to give my "fig in a pot" away to a friend, since it obvioiusly couldn't make the overseas move.
    Melly

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

My fig tree was moved last year, and it's new location doesn't supply as much sun as I would have liked. It had quite a few fruit tho - and I made some jam from it. My own recipe, which I dreamed up - not intending to preserve it.

It was figs, apples, lime juice and sugar. It was very tasty, but I felt a bit "queasy" after eating it, but dismissed it. Then, the 2nd time I thought so to. It was not around long enough to go bad in the fridge. I wonder if there is something in figs that some folks can't tolerate. (I have a few of those - but not many - like combination of pineapple and sour cream or yogurt, or canned tomato juice ???).

Perhaps they were a tad unripe - I note figs have that milky ooze sometimes - that some plants do that are poisonous - such as poinsettias, etc., some cactus, also.

I may try again - another batch, just to see if it was just "my day off."

Thanks anyone.

Bejay

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Mine that I can't tolerate is papaya. Really bums me out, but I end up with stomach cramps that make me double over if I have any. I had to give up my favorite papaya smoothie. And then strawberries give me rash on my lips. I don't know about figs.

• Linda_Lou
    18 years ago

Bejay, did you get my message ?

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

Hi LL - yes - sorry it was late - check the e-mail today.

Still wondering about those figs? May try another jam recipe today if figs are available. Not enough for preserving this year, but have a half grown young tree and 2 small canned sprouts - if they aren't edible, for me tho - out they go!

Bejay

• Tiffz8b
    17 years ago

JessyFeldm_speakeasy- I just tried your version of the recipe. It is yummy! I also made a version with 2/3 cup walnut liqueur instead of 1 cup port and added 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (with a few larger bits). I did not add the orange zest to this version. It turned out great as well. Both batches made 6 half-pints for me. It did take longer than 15 minutes for me after the sugar, etc. was added. It actually took about 30 minutes to get it reduced enough to round up on a spoon. I cooked it on medium heat. Perhaps you used a higher setting? Regardless, it was worth every minute. Thanks.

I know this is an old thread, but thanks everybody for your input. I think I will try a light-colored rum next.

What is the opinion for processing time in a boiling water bath using JessyFeldm_speakeasyÂs recipe? I processed for 15 minutes at full boil. Does this sound long enough?

Also, I hate the taste of most of the bottled lemon juice, but found that the company that bottles Key Lime juice also has a lemon juice and I think it is much better. I also noticed they started carrying a lemon-mango combination (maybe it was lime mango- canÂt remember). I thought it might be good to try for circumstances where I can use it for flavor when the acid levels are already high enough.

Oh, and last year ReadingLady (thank you!) e-mailed me a recipe for figberry jam from the Jam Lady Cookbook (?) that has become a favorite at our house. It does have a ton of sugar in it, so it is not for the nutrition-minded. I found that slightly under-ripe figs produced a much better final result because they actually held their shape and had more of a fig flavor that was not overpowered by the strawberries. The fully ripe figs were so sugary-sweet that they just melted and tasted like sugar instead of figs. FYI I use brown turkey figs.

Thanks again and happy canning!

Tiff

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Thanks Tiff. I'm glad to know that recipe worked well for you.

I like to at least add some less-ripe fruit, even if setting isn't an issue. It does seem to enhance the flavor of most jams. The malic acid blend ksrogers recommends is also a nice touch.

Carol

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Hi Tiff! Glad you found another way to enjoy figs. That recipe actually came from Spacific.

The only warning I'm gonna give ya is that mine started molding after I opened it, in the fridge. I like to savor my results - but this one, made as the recipe indicates, would be better consumed quickly. I'm another that doesn't like 'a little fruit with my sugar' so its time for me to get cozy with Pomona.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

This year its loaded with figs, at least 10 per branch. They seem to emerge where every leaf stem is growing. I have been foliar spraying as well as adding fish fertilizer to the soil. Its roots were also showing up on the surface, so I added another 3 inchs of soil, only to see that its already got more roots on the surface again. It needs a good watering about every 3-4 days. After that, it droops and can lose its figs. Right now, all are still green and most are the size of marbles or smaller. A few are bigger, but not quite as big as any store bought ones. Last years figs dropped off without getting big enough. Probably good, as it was its first year in a big pot. Now, its twice the size of what it was and the pot weighs almost a 100 pounds. Luckily its on wheels on my patio, but when I move it back into the garage for the winter, I will probably have to use a hand truck. If its planted in soil in my Z6, it would probably die over our winters. Also, saw a new shoot sprouting up from just below the surface of the soil next to the trunk. It had one single root spur on it, and so I gave it to a friend, in hopes that she will be able to also grow a tree. The fig is a brown turkey type.

As to butter in canning, I believe that its added to reduce foaming, but would expect most any small amount of an oil would also do the same thing when its boiling.

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

Wow that sounds so good. I think i need to go blueberry picking tomorrow so I stop lusting after fruits I cannot grow. Then maybe I will remember why I live in this zone.

-Robin

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

I am with you on that one Robin. Blueberries are here too and oh so good, I will try the bluberry lavender recipe that I got in another post. Anyone want to send figs our way???

Marie

• gardengrl
    17 years ago

Oh, goody! I have a friend who gave me about a pound of fresh figs this past weekend. I din't know what to do with them, so I rinsed them really well and froze them.

She adds fire wood ashes to her fig once a year, says the potash (?) helps them produce more. Her bush/tree is about 10 feet high and just as wide.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I've tried two different lime juice brands. The Kermit brand is much stronger with a bitter pith taste, while Nellie & Joe's seems to be a much better tasting product. The Splenda web site had a recipe for making watermelon lemonaid. Puree chunks of watermelon, run through a sieve, add lemon juice and sugar (Splenda). Would love to mke a frozen sorbet with watermelon too. Potash is very necessary for figs as I have to use it here for my peach/plum/apricot tree too. I must get some soon. Green sand is a good source of potash (potassium).

• Tiffz8b
    17 years ago

I went out of town after posting and am glad to see all of the responses!

readinglady- thanks again :)

jessyf- thanks for the warning. I put it up in half-pints and thought I would use them for desserts like jelly rolls, short breads, thumbprint cookies, ice cream, etc. Or just with cream cheese and crackers. I will try to use it up as soon as they are opened. I did not use any butter or oil in my batches (the foam is highly sought after to be put on ice cream). I made three: One with port, one with walnut liqueur, and one with Sabra (an orange liqueur). Each is very unique. I processed them in a bwb for 15 mins.

ksrogers- good luck with your fig harvest this year! It sounds like your tree is doing quite well. I have a new tree myself that was planted in the ground. It is three years old and this is my first year to get figs. The potted figs bear earlier. I've gotten three and am quite happy after the long wait. I just hope the squirrels don't discover the others that are left. Also, the juice brand I was refer

• Tiffz8b
    17 years ago

I hate dial-up!!! Here is the rest of the message.

... Also, the juice brand I was referring to is the Nellie and Joe's brand and that watermelon lemonade sounds wonderful!

I don't get to visit as often as I like, but this forum is my favourite. Happy preserving!

Tiff

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Gee, my figs are still green and are now falling off the tree (mostly the smaller ones). They are not ripe yet as I opened a couple and the insides were white and fuzzy. This is its second year and I am begining to think its still too young to bear figs. I have to keep watering it every two days or it will droop. I also added a little green sand to help improve its potash level. Also, a bit of ironite mixed in with the waterings. Iv'e been a Nellie & Joes customer for over 20 years now. Found it at a site that charges $2.99 per bottle, so I buy case at a time.

• Lars
    17 years ago

I've been throwing wood ashes under my fig trees for some time now - I had no idea it was actually helpful - I just needed to get rid of the ashes.

I made fig jam today with 7-1/2 pounds of figs, which I washed and drained. I added about 8 cups of sugar (my figs are already extremely sweet), 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup orange juice, and the julienned rind of two Meyer lemons and brought that to a boil on medium heat. Then I added 1/4 cup lemon juice (from the Meyer lemons) and cooked that over high heat stirring frequently until it got thick, probably about 20 minutes. My orange tree is a Valencia, and I usually just drink the juice, but I like the flavor it adds to fig jam.

I then ladeled the mixture into hot, sterilized jars and processed in boiling water for 15 minutes. I made this last year also, and it did not need any pectin because of the citrus juice. The Meyer lemon rind is very soft and adds a nice bit of texture to the jam.

Lars

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Lars, I'm glad to see you over here! I remember last year when you canned the fig jam and it sounded so good, it still sounds yummy.

I still envy you that Meyer lemon tree, I keep saying I'm going to plant one in the corner of my living room in a big pot.

Annie

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Today, I actually saw a single brown colored fig (brown turkey type), that is getting ripe. Just a few are left on the little tree, and those that are, are bigger than most of the ones that dropped off earlier. I guess it was just because the tree was still a bit young.

• jbrajcki
    15 years ago

I searched the web for recipes and this discussion has been the most instructive, exciting, helpful. I tried the very first recipe to the t and it's really good, but we kinda thought that the orange, though good, overpowered the fig flavor a bit. So round two: here's what I decided to try:

6 c fig pulp
    3 cups sugar
    1 stick unsalted butter
    3 T lemon juice--didn't have any on hand so used white vinegar
    6T cognac.

simmer the pulp in a big heavy bottom enameled skillet for 30 minutes until well caramelized. stirring often to prevent sticking, add sugar and simmer another 15 minutes. melt in butter, stir well, add vinegar and cognac, stir well and place into 6 x 1/2 pint jars.

I think this will be the recipe that I stick to for the rest of my life. I can't even believe how delicious it is. I think that it wouldn't really keep safely on the shelf because of the butter if you process by the boiling method. I'll freeze what I can't use immediately...as if it's gonna last long.

• gonafindit_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am a great grandmother and have been canning for over 40 years. I have two brown turkey fig trees in my yard in central Florida. My preserves are raved about in 4 states when I have enough to share, I have never sold them.

I use equal parts of sugar and figs, nothing else - cup of sugar to cup of fruit (this is how my grandmother did it) When the figs are extra large, I cut them in half, but never dice or chop them. When the preserves are ready for the jars they will begin to get transparent, the syrup will be about as thick as honey. I use hot sterilized jars, boil my lids and rings, dipping the hot preserves in the jars as you do tomatoes when you hot pack them. Be sure you clean the top of the jar with a clean hot wet cloth before putting the lid and ring on the jar. Always turn the filled jars upside down, placing a towel over the finished jars to let them cool. Never tighten the jars again once they are cooled, you will break your seal. Once they are cool enough to pick them up with your bare hands, turn them right side up, keeping a cloth over them until they are completely cold, usually overnight and you will hear that famous click showing they have sealed. I have never lost a jar to mold, etc.

Another hint, as you pick your figs, wash them, stem them let them air dry, then place them in a zip seal bag in the freezer. Since I don't like heating my kitchen in the summer, I wait until fall/early winter to do my preserves.

• Nicole Waterman
    6 years ago

I make this fig butter every year to can. I follow the recipe and leave out the butter then put the jars in a boiling water bath. It's become a family favorite. Delicious and cans well.

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

This is a very old thread Nicole so exactly what recipe are you talking about?

Dave