Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustard_seeds

planted slicer cukes by mistake - ideas for salad recipes?

mustard_seeds
13 years ago

Hi! I usually plant a few pickling cukes and make an overnight recipe in fridge by slicing them and putting them in mixture of cider vinegar, salt, peppercorns and some dill. My husband eats them the next day. Well, I planted slicers instead of pickling cukes. I will slice them for tops of salads, but hubby likes sour, salty, spiced cold wet crunchy veggies. Do you have any recipes that are good for cucumber salads that will keep about a day in fridge without getting too SOGGY?

Comments (10)

• busylizzy
    13 years ago

Local favorite here is cukes and onions, either s/s or sour cream.
    I peel the cukes and onions, run thru food processor on largest slicing blade.
    for the Sweet Sour Dressing. Take white vinegar, add sugar and salt to taste and pour over the cukes and onions, they last about 3 days ( or that is is longest they stay around before eaten) in the refrig.
    You can add Sour Cream to the vinegar to nake a cream sauce.

if you want it hot, you can always add some hot peppers

• calliope
    13 years ago

You can use slicers for pickling purposes, but their skins are more bitter, and the seeds tend to be larger and tougher. There is no safety reason I know of prohibiting using a slicer in pickles.

If you do, pick the slicers very young and small. Some folks say that slicers, since they contain more water, make a mushier pickle, so be forewarned. I salt my pickles in ice water anyway, so that could make that less of an issue. In fact, I forgot to plant pickler cukes this year, and am just getting ready to do up one batch of bread and butter pickles with slicing cukes. Better than wasting them and I have so many cukes coming on, I'm about ready to put them in brown paper bags and drive to town to leave them on doorsteps.

• kayskats
    13 years ago

have you tried the slicers in your recipe/method? If they're eaten within a day I wouldn't think they'd get limp.

your best bet would be to pick them young, when the seeds are small.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I second what kayskats said. If they are only in the refrigerator for a day, they shouldn't turn to mush.

I use my pickling cukes for making BWB pickles. But I use my slicers for a similalr recipe that you use - slilce cukes, add vinegar, water and peppercorns. Consume the next day.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

We like then shredded ot slivered like you would with cabbage and then mix them well with your favorite cole slaw dressing. Ous is the milk based one but the vinegar one works well too.

You can also slice them in half length wise, butter and garlic sprinkle, and grill them just as you would summer squash.

Dave

PS: and they make any of the great relish recipes too

• kayskats
    13 years ago

Dave, do you salt the cukes (as you would Eggplant) to remove some of the liquid?

kay

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

I call this soaked cucumbers and it's a huge hit at parties:

Slice cukes thinly, add some salt and let sit an hour or so. Drain thoroughly and add a very small amount of vinegar. Let marinate an hour or so. Delicious.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

why not try to peel the cucs and use your old recipe. Hubby should like them. If the center of the cuc is too watery you can scoop out the seeds and just use the walls of the cuc.

• mustard_seeds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!! Great recipes and ideas. We did do my old overnight method and it worked fine. There are so many cukes that I will try some of these other ideas. What a nice forum!

• riverfarm
    13 years ago

Believe it or not, you can freeze excess cucumbers. A friend gave me the recipe last summer, and I was sorry this winter when I ran out of packages of them to put in salads. They have a somewhat vinegary, sweet-sour taste, which you'd expect, and they're great for adding crunch and texture to salads.

Freezing Cucumbers
    Slice them thinly, mix them with salt (about a tablespoon per large cucumber), and put them in the refrigerator for a day. Then rinse them really well and press them as dry as you can.
    Mix them with sugar and vinegar, 50/50, enough to cover them.
    Refrigerate for another day, then put them in freezer containers and
    freeze. When you thaw them later, they're still crisp and good in
    salads, gazpacho, etc.