Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Blight

Posted by sapman z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 13:01

I need some help or opinions from the members. I cut way back on growing my own plants last year, not canning as much. Last year I just bought a few larger tomato plants at Wal-mart, and had very good results for table tomatoes. Done the same this year, it was a flop. I put 8 plants in my raised bed, they took off great, were all blossomed out. We has a real rainy, cool spell, but no frost, last part of June. Then they all turned black and died, almost at once. I was told B.E.R. (but I had no tomatoes). Yesterday a son-in-law told me he heard that a supplier of Wal-mart was infected with something and thats what I probably had. Anyone have any input ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Blight

Yes, it isn't really relevant to this forum but you will find several discussions about this over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here as well as on the NE Gardening Forum since the NE is where the problem is focused. Those discussions provide links to all the news articles about the problem.

It was an infection of late blight (P. infestans) that resulted in all the plants being pulled from the big box stores but many infected plants were already sold.

You are right that BER affects only the fruit, not the plants, but late blight is death to the plants.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes forum

o
RE: Tomato Blight

I will answer. BRE (Blossom End Rot) is only when tomatoes grow very rapidly under very hot conditions with plenty of fertilizer. It also is common with elongated tomatoes lile San Marzano and a other plum types. Its a lack of enough calcium for the plants. Sprays of calcium chloride on the foliage will help reduce it, as will weather, once it moderates to a little lower temp. Planting tomatoes in the same location every year can cause the blackening and blight you see. Its soil borne and travels from the base leaves and stems all they way to the top witin a couple of weeks. One year, I lost 70+ plants to blight, as they were planted in a previous tomato location. A few fungal sprays can help reduce that. Serenade, Captan, and even an antibiotic can be sprayed on the foliage to reduce the blight. Once it takes hold 5 day intervals of spraying are necessary. Never water with a sprinkler, as the leaves don't like excess water I use soaker hoses. This year, I only planted 4 tomato plants, all grape type and they are just now starting to blossom. No signs of any disease, as they are far away from any other previoulsy planted location.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here