Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes

Posted by rebel215 07-VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 13:08

I hope no one minds if I ask a stupid question...I'm canning tomatoes and following the Ball book for hot pack. However, I didn't add any water. The tomatoes have so much liquid in them already. The Ball books says 40 mins. for pints - hot pack w/water added or 1 hour, 25 mins. in it's own juice. I had juice left in the pan and the jars are probably close to 1/2 juice/liquid. Do I really need to can them for 1 hr., 25 mins.?

Thank you. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes

If you added no water then the density is greater - juice is thicker than water - so a longer processing time is needed.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed in tomato juice) are canned for 85 mins. for both pints and quarts vs. 40-45 mins. when packed in water.

So are these whole or halved tomatoes or are they more like Crushed Tomatoes? If crushed use the Crushed Tomatoes instructions.

If they are whole or halves then personally I would dump the jars back into the pot, return to boil, repack the jars with just tomatoes straining off as much of the juice as possible, then pour boiling water into fill the jars, recap and process as for tomatoes in water.

Your choice.

Dave

o

Thank you, Dave. They were actually crushed/smashed/falling to pieces tomatoes. I appreciate the link and will print it for future canning. Have a good Sunday!

o

Ok but you will still have all the liquid. Note that crushed tomatoes is with no added liquid.

Nest time pick one of the 4 methods and stick to its directions for safety sake. :)

How to can tomatoes: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can3_tomato.html

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here