Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Terrible Peaches

skeip
11 years ago

I bought a case of peaches and split it with my mother this past week. yesterday they are ripe enough to eat and they are terrible! Mealy, dry, really wierd texture and absolutely no flavor or juice. They came from my usual source in GA which in past years have been fabulous.

So, they are in the fridge, but what do I do with them? They are not suitable for fresh eating,and I have a feeling that if I canned or froze them it would be a colossal waste of sugar. And I was so looking forward to Peach Shortcake in February.

Any suggestions would be welcome. TYIA.

Steve

Comments (7)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I am sorry to say my only suggestion is to throw them out. If you can approach the seller and get a refund, that would be great, but I've never found a way to salvage peaches like this that's good enough to be worth the time, utilities and supplies.

It's just one of those "garbage in - garbage out" situations.

Carol

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Mix them with a different fruit that tastes better.
    My peaches in So Calif are always terrible but I have a batch of cherry peach pie filling (less sugar and Clearjel used so I can use it for ice cream or waffle topping) when I found sweet cherries on sale for 99 cents a pound. Tastes really good now.
    Cut the mealy peaches up small in the food processor (skin and all) and left the pitted cherries whole (minus pit). The cherries colored the whole batch and the peaches become a secondary jar and substance filler. Just enough Clearjel added to make it the consistency of pancake batter (flowable).
    As said, it tastes really good.
    Jim in So Calif

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I would definitely contact the vendor. They shouldn't be selling garbage like that.

I had something similiar happen when I bought peaches at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago (I know, I know.....).
    They were on sale really cheap..........got what I paid for.
    I actually took them back and got a refund.

Sure can't hurt to ask. Might get some bucks back to spend elsewhere!

Deanna

• skeip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a very reputable back of the truck company that has been coming to the same location in our town for the past several years, certainly no fly by night operation. They do the same thing at locations all around the state. I went to their website and they had a link to their Facebook page where many, many people all around the state complained of the same thing. They said to send them an email outlining your problem, and "they would take care of it". I have faith that they will. Looks like the squirrels and chipmonkeys will be enjoying these peaches!

Steve

• cjzimmer
    11 years ago

I had the same problem with their peaches a few years ago from the 2nd shipment. I will now only buy from their 1st stops and those peaches have always been great. I don't know why their 2nd stops have icky peaches but this isn't the 1st time it happened.

For me when I had the bad peaches, I had a mixture of mealy peaches and ones with brown rot. I was able to cut off what was good (less than 50%) and cut into chunks and put them in orange juice. I cooked it down and made jam with Pomona's Pectin. I then several TBSP of cinnamon. Since the peaches weren't great they didn't cook well and I had pretty chunky jam but the flavor actually turned out pretty good and tasted like peach pie.

• malna
    11 years ago

I must have bought those same peaches. I was ready to feed them to the dogs (my two love fruit :-) but we grilled them and they were pretty good with grilled chicken.

I roasted some in the oven, too, with a splash of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and some spices, and they were really good.

Obviously not canning methods, but at least I didn't feel like I totally wasted my money.

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

I would turn them into peach brandy jam.