Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's the pits!

Posted by berrybusy (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 13:29

Just back from picking 8 ice cream pails of tart cherries. (around 40-45 lbs)

Also, found a tree with darker colored cherries in one of the rows, so about two of the pails came from that tree, turns out it's some fancier variety, Balaton, supposedly deeper, richer flavor. Yay! The orchard keeper said keep those out for something special or mix them in to deepen the cherry flavor.

But of course, now that the cherries are picked, the REAL fun begins... ain't it the pits? ;o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's the pits!

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 22:19

You are so lucky! Use to use an old fashioned hairpin - the ones that are open, but now have a cherry pitter. Just wish I could get the cherries now. It would be worth pitting them either way.

o

Awesome! My family picked tart cherries two weeks ago-- about 20 pounds, I think. A cherry pitter is a must! We canned jam and pie filling, and a really nice pie. YUM!!! (have fun :) )

o

so...the almost final results are in

7 half pints cherry jam
6 half pints cherry jelly
5 half pints cherry relish
4 pints spiced/pickled cherries
13 pints cherry pie filling - yum
21 quarts cherry drink
Dried:
some "candied" cherries - really sweet plump and a s-t-i-c-k-y mess
cherry "raisins" (much better, wish I could do more!) ended up with about 2-3 cups once dry

prepped juice is still waiting in the fridge for cherry obsession jelly and cherry syrup, but as temps soared into the 100's and I don't have AC... will wait and see

oh...and cherries frozen for a fresh cherry pie ... after it cools down slightly!

o

We get tart cherries from our CSA. I simply divide them and freeze them, we love eating them all winter long, just as they are. I freeze them in different size bags ranging from single serving, to enough for a pie ;)

Our favorite ways to enjoy them are 1) on top of yogurt and 2) in a fresh baked pie.

Enjoy your cherries!

- Michele

o

Wow berry has been very busy! :) Hope you didn't get carpal tunnel syndrome or tennis elbow from using the pitter.

Dave

o

Berrybusy, could you tell me the recipe you used for the pie filling? I've got to finish up with these tart cherries too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here