Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elle_bee_gw

Zucchini Jam

elle_bee
13 years ago

Can anyone post a zucchini jam recipe that doesn't use flavored Jello? I've searched the web for a recipe--there's lots out there, but most call for a box of apricot or raspberry Jello gelatin and I don't care for the food dyes that are found in those. I don't mind using crushed pineapple or pectin. If anyone's got a recipe they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd sure like it! Thank you!

Comments (11)

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

You would not be able to safely can the one with jello, anyway. Those need to be frozen or stored in the fridge. Since zucchini is a low acid veggie and not a fruit, added acid will be needed. I see no reason to not use the standard jello recipe, omit it, use the pineapple and lemon juice, and then flavor with an extract if you want more flavor.

Ok, this is British, so you would need to find conversions, and also process as you would any chutney.
    They call zucchini courgettes.

Ingredients
    1.4kg large courgettes, or marrow, weighed after peeling, chopping into 1cm thick pieces and de-seeding
    1.8kg sugar
    25g ginger, grated
    rind and juice of 2 lemons, thinly peeled
    rind and juice of 1 oranges, thinly peeled

Method
    1. Place the courgettes in a large bowl and sprinkle over about 450g of the sugar. Leave overnight.

2. Place the grated ginger, lemon and orange rind on a piece of muslin and tie up the muslin over the mixture. Place the muslin bag in a preserving pan with the courgettes, orange and lemon juices.

3. Simmer for 30 minutes, add the remaining sugar and boil gently until setting point is reached and the courgettes look transparent.

4. Remove and discard the muslin bag. Pot the hot chutney into clean, warm, sterilised jars, cover with waxed paper discs, set aside to cool and cover in the usual way.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I went off on a search and only found a couple without Jello.

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/flavorsoffall/zucchini-marmalade.htm

http://www.jellyjamrecipes.com/fruit-preserves-recipes/homemade-preserve-recipe-zucchini-preserve-recipe-with-pineapple-juice/

Let us know if you find more somewhere!! I would store in the freezer too!

Deanna

• mudster
    13 years ago

There's a recipe for Zucchini relishi in the Ball Complete book of home preserving. Recipe here (pdf).

Not exactly what you're looking for, but it sounds yummy.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

The Jamlady Cookbook offers a zucchini marmalade with lemon pulp and zest, orange pulp and zest (or clementine), crushed pineapple in juice, grated ginger or powder (optional), nuts (optional), liqueur (optional) and sugar.

She also offers a Gingered Marrow (Zucchini) Jam with lemon juice and zest, pineapple, the pectin and gingerroot.

I trust the Jamlady as she's sold jams and preserves commercially in Chicago for many years.

However, she adds an important caution to keep in mind. Since the pH of squash is highly variable, she recommends not canning squash jams without verifying with a pH meter unless you are certain the recipe is reliable and contains sufficient acid to accomodate even the lowest range of zucchini pH. Refrigeration is fine.

Her recipes are thoroughly tested. [But she also comments that there are a lot of better products to use in marmalades and jams than zucchini. No shortage of opinions with the Jamlady!]

Carol

• hoosiergardener
    13 years ago

oh wow! I have been canning the zucchini jello jam for 2 years now after buying a jar from an amish stand..I always fiqured the pineapple in it gave it the acid it needed. Glad I didn't can any yet this year, think I will be freezing it from now on :(

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

You need to remember that gelatin is an animal product. That is part of the issue with canning it.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Actually, looking at that Marrow and Ginger Jam, I would think if there were an issue with the pH of the marrow, it would be more safe not to boiling water bath. In other words, you have equal parts vegetable to sugar by weight and it's not anaerobic because it's not sealed in a jar.

It's an interesting thought.

I'm a little unclear. Are marrows and courgettes the same but marrows are the larger (i.e oversized) ones?

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

I also wondered why they called it a chutney.
    Waiting to hear why some are called marrows, as well.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

No idea why they are called marrows. Originally known as 'vegetable marrow' and grown in British gardens long before courgettes became popular. Courgettes only really started being grown over here after WW2 when people began to take holidays abroad and came back having experienced unknown fruit and vegetables such as courgettes, peppers and aubergines. (We even had to borrow the French names.) Unfortunately, only the courgettes grow really well in our climate. And yes, a marrow is just an overgrown courgette. Or rather, when they were first introduced here, a courgette would have been viewed as an immature marrow.

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Thank you, Flora, for letting us know the difference.
    To us they are all zucchini.
    Aubergines are eggplant to us.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022