Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker

Posted by homemadecountrylife Zone 8A CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 13:36

Hi all, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker, is this a good canner for canning soups, low acid foods and such? Does anyone have one, do you like it, and do I need a pressure canner regulator?

And what do you think is the difference between these two Presto Pressure Canners, other then the size & price?

Presto 23 : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYCFU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Presto 22 : http://www.amazon.com/Presto-22-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG8/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1342892050&sr=1-10&keywords=presto

Thank you in advance :)
~ Amanda :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker

Hi Amanda,
I am a newbie too :) I have ordered my Presto 23-QT from Amazon and will have it on Monday, 7/23, I can not wait!!

I thought that I would give you the reasons that I settled on the 23 qt vrs. the 22 qt.

~ Right now the 23 qt (on Amazon) is $10 cheaper than the 22 quart
~ The larger 23 quart gives you a bit more room when doubling it as a boiling water bath (like for jams)
~ The advice, on the forum, is buy the biggest model you can afford as this is, most likely, a lifetime purchase. I've read a LOT of posts stating the 23 quart is a good one for the money.
~ After reading this post (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0209484416611.html) I also purchased the weights from Amazon for it (link is in the first post).

So those are the reasons that I purchased the 23 qt over the 22 qt.

Sheila :)

o

LOL! I just bought the 22 quart. I figured it was only 1 quart difference, but I noticed the 22 seemed "heavier duty" then the 23 quart, but that's what it looked like to me. I noticed that the weights looked different between them, too.

I hope I made the best decision. I know that the 23 was $10 cheaper, and believe me, that was a HUGE factor with my indecision. But for some reason I felt that 22 calling my name :)
I'm getting mine between the 23rd and the 26th!! I'm so excited for both of us!! What's the first thing you are planning on canning? :)

~ Amanda

o

You will, definitely, need to let me know how your like yours!

I am thinking about making a Blueberry/Peach Jam first. Next week, the local Blueberry UPick is having their second harvest and I ordered 10 lbs. I am disabled, so can not pick, so they are selling to me at $1.50 a lb of their pack. Now that I think of it, I should have ordered more. I love Blueberries :)

Then I want to do a straight veggie pack. Haven't decided on what. Guess I will decide after a visit to the Farmers Market on Thurs :)

o

Great! I Need to know how yours works for you too! he he :) If I was a millionaire, I'd order both just to see which one I liked best. But since I'm not and this is a lifetime investment, and I'm not made of money (I have exactly $2.30 left in my bank account), I have to make the best guess here :)

You definitely got a good deal on the blueberries! My friend orders all organic fruits and foods from some place called Abundant Harvest, and they often offer a box of "cosmetically challenged" fruit for $10 for a 15 pound box or so. I'd love to buy all organic but it's sadly not in a budget in the near future. I almost walked away from buying the Presto, I just couldn't pull the financial trigger. But I have wanted one for the last 4 years, but couldn't afford one at all. Finally last night I see that it is on sale at Amazon! I have been patient all this time, and I've finally been blessed for my effort :) YAY!

I have no idea what I'm going to try first, but I am really looking forward to canning soups and spaghetti sauces on a "whim".

~ Amanda

o

Home Made,
And as soon as you get $12.00, you need to order the 3 piece weight set for your canner.
It is part #50332 and currently is $11.99 at Amazon for States customers with free shipping. If you live at 1000 feet or less, you will pull off one of the rings and it will be set for 10 pounds.
No yearly testing of your gauge and no standing in front of the canner watching the pressure regulator. The 10 pound weight will take care of it.
I also have the 22 quart and I feel no difference between it and my friends 23 quart. It will get black inside. Don't freak. You did not do anything wrong. No need to clean. Do not immerse lid with gauge in sink.
Have fun. Look for free jars. Look for cheap source of lids.
Jim in So Calif

o

Jim, I ordered that too, after reading- I think- Dave's post on that (different thread). My canner should be in today and my weights tomorrow (yippie!!).

I did not know that the canner would get black inside, I am glad that you mentioned that. I would have freaked!!

Amanda, After reading more receipes, I called and ordered another 10 lbs of blueberries. I'm going to be using a LOT of them!!

I also love broccoli and will be putting up some of those. On another thread a poster reminded me of power outages so I am going to put up some chicken too.

This is going to be so much fun!!

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 12:43

"I also love broccoli and will be putting up some of those."

Are you going to try canning broccoli instead of freezing it? Um, you don't see canned broccoli in the grocery store. There's a reason for that. Even the USDA discourages canning of broccoli (and other vegetables in the cabbage family like turnips, rutabagas, Brussels sprouts, etc.)

The texture gets very mushy and the smell/flavor gets really, really strong (almost nasty).

o

Agree broccoli is something to be canned. It gets frozen. And blueberries don't need pressure canning, only BWB canning.

You mentioned spaghetti sauce on the other thread. Approved and tested recipes only, ok?

Too many make the mistake of assuming that because they have a pressure canner they can can most anything. Not true. There are limitations.

If you have yet explored NCHFP you need to take the time to do so. It is the official source for instructions and recipes. Be sure to read through the entire How to Use a Pressure Canner guide there. It includes several different guidelines that are not covered in canner manuals.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pressure Canners

o

Jim, I am definitely going to get that 3 piece weight set, as soon as payday comes back around. And I definitely knew that you couldn't submerge the lid, but I didn't know the inside would turn black. Thank you, for that info! I look on Craig's List for jars because they have more for the money and I because don't have a farm supply out here. All of the jars I've found are in good condition and without chips or dings, so far.

Sheila, Good for you! I would have done the same thing too!! The price on those blueberries are really good!

Dave, absolutely I'll be using approved recipes. Thank you for the NCHFP link, I am going to check it out now. As much as I love to can, I don't want anyone sick or and spoiled items because I was too lazy to do it right.

~ Amanda

o

The 23 quart presto canner is great and everyone loves it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here