Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill 'Heads'?

Posted by joytwo1839 z6 TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 13:45

When a pickle recipe says one head of dill in each jar, how much is that ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill 'Heads'?

Ever see a dill seed head?? You will soon know that is roundsh, has many thin stems and each TIP contains a single dill seed, green at first and the tan/brown. These can be huge, bigger than a foot in diameter, or smaller and have sevaral 'clusters'. A dill seed head is just that, a small piece of the main stem. and all the thin stems above it that branch and cluster out of that. Its your choice on how much you like. Also dill weed, which grows further down all the plants, and can also be packed in jars. Pack dill and garlic first before any cukes or brines are added. If you have no idea about dill and its seeds and heads, suggest that you do a web a search and it will bring up thouands or drawings and photos. Finding fresh dill seed heads in stores is nearly impossble, unless it was just picked outside the store someplace nearby .

o

Thanks for the information. I have about ten dill plants and I sort of thought the recipe meant the flowering part but wasn't sure. It just said "dill head'. So the fine,fern like part is dill weed and the umbrella shaped top is the head. Got it. Going to make hamburger chips out of the blue book after work, never tried them. I have a gallon of your half sours I put in fridge last night.
Love Brimfield, Mass and Maine.

o

Enjoy!! Hope you have tasted those brined cukes by now. Even after a couple of days you can usally tell if you got the right amount of salt and water ratio, as well as dill and very necessary garlic. I wish I could give a better description of achieving that 'sweet spot', but it would usually come naturally for most people who start out tasting first and getting the feel for the amounts of salt and water. Be sure to write down YOUR preferences as no two people's brines can taste the same. My seed heads have several thinner branches all around the tops. Grab the main one, and its huge, or grab some of the smaller clusters within it, and you have pretty much a dose you prefer. Some of my seeds are now starting to brown and I am YELLING at my cukes to tell them to hurry up..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here