Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tombug_gw

Sweet Pickles - substitute Splenda for sugar?

tombug
10 years ago

First : I am now a diabetic.
In my younger days I loved sweet pickles.
I have purchased a couple packages of "Mrs. Wages" Sweet Pickle mix. I was shocked to find that the recipe called for 7 cups of sugar. Wow!!
Can splenda be safely substituted for part or all of the sugar? Will it be a cup for cup substitution?

Thankyou
Larry

Comments (11)

• malna
    10 years ago

There's a recipe on the Splenda website for Bread and Butter Pickles. Also the NCHFP has a No Sugar Added Sweet Cucumber Slices recipe (I linked that below) that uses Splenda.

Neither of these use a mix, but it may give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: No Sugar Added Sweet Pickles

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

The bread and butter pickles on the Splenda site has worked out great. I made the brine up, and kept the leftover brine, refrigerated for the next batch. Heat that back up to boiling and do some more.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If you wish to make artificially sweetened pickles then the pre-packaged mixes are not the way to do it. The ingredients are already pre-proportioned in the mixes and intended for use only as given not with substitutions. There simply is no way to insure the safety, much less the quality, of the end product when substitutions are used.

Instead use one of the tested and approved recipes for special diet pickles.

Plus given all the health concerns about sucralose (Splenda) in the news of late, I'd discourage using any recipe that required large amounts of it. Why create additional health issues just to have artificially sweetened sweet pickles of questionable quality?

Dave

• calliope
    10 years ago

I think you are worrying too much about the carbs in your sweet pickles, even if you use the packaged mix. Most of it will end up in the brine, and you won't be drinking that! My husband is diabetic, and we are managing extremely well with diet and have learned so much by closely counting carbs. In a whole, small sweet pickle there are only 1.9 carbs. If you are limiting a meal to sixty carbs (typical on a diabetic diet) you can see how this is a relatively innocent pleasure even when made with real sugar.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

If you don't mind, the Kosher dills are acceptable for diabetics. After awhile, a diabetic will not notice the tartness as much, and the sweet will be outrageously sweet.

My husband is only allowed 45 carbs, not the sixty and my brother-in-law is lower than that. You really have to watch the quantity eaten, 1 pickle is much better than 1 jar of pickles.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Less than two carbs for one pickle is an extremely small amount of carbs. for it's size. It's irrelevant how many carbs one can have on their diet. What is relevant is getting enough to eat and good nutrition with however many you can have and I'm saying that there is so few carbs in a sweet pickle whose brine is made with sugar that it's not worth the effort to make them sugarless. 1.9 carbs is practically 'free food'.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Calliope, I don't think I understand you. 2 carbs per pickle can start to add up. If the person would eat 8 pickles, that the same as a full meal, and 30 would be for the entire day. Unfortunately some people DO eat that many, especially if the pickle tastes really good.

So many people are 'new' diabetics and don't have the control to stop with just 1-2 pickles, so we caregivers are always looking for alternatives.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I don't think I understand you, either. If I were going to take the effort to find low-sugar alternate dishes, it wouldn't be to go from less than two carbs to maybe one carb, it would be for a dish where I could cut out a LOT of sugar or carbs where the effort is worth the trouble. The poster was concerned about the total amount of sugar in the recipe. If they're new to cooking for diabetes, then they need to not just be freaked out at the word sugar, but learn how many carbs are actually consumed. It works in reverse too. Sugarless does not translate to safe for diabetic diets. "Healthy" salad dressings and sugarless candy can be murder on carb counts. As far as learning control, it's just part of being diabetic. Period. They'll get almost as many carbs from the cucumber part of that pickle as they will one with sugar in the brine. Just that simple.

• tombug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thankyou all for your comments.

I have finally been able to get through to the Mrs, Wages help line, It was not working for awhile.

Splenda has been tested and approved for a direct substitution for sugar for their pickle mixes.

I am currently in the middle of processing a batch.

Larry

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Larry, glad to know that.