Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on Harsch Crock Pot - No Bubbles

Posted by spiceblender Nebraska (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 13:54

I am new to using a Harsch Crock and two weeks ago made sauerkraut and set in the basement. After about 3 - 4 days I did notice a couple of large bubbles in the water trough and have not seen any since (been 14 days since making it). Is this normal? Is it okay to take the lid off and look at the product or will this spoil the fermentation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on Harsch Crock Pot - No Bubbles

I have a Harsch, but I haven't made sauerkraut, yet. I have fermented mixtures of cruciferous vegetables, cabbage included, and carrots. It starts bubbling a few days after I start,(usually three) and continues for a week. I don't open the crock for three weeks. You can open it to check.

o

Fermentation will be slowed by cooler temperatures. Depending upon how cool your basement is, the fermentation process may not yet be "there."

If the sauerkraut is smelling good and there are no signs of mold or spoilage, it's all good. These natural processes go by their own schedule.

Carol

o

No, do not take the lid off and keep checking. You introduce oxygen and tempt the purification critters when you do that. Take the top of near the end of the process and taste - trust your instruction book on that.
I don't sit and watch my bubbles when I ferment, but I do know that at the right temperatures, in 13 or 21 days I will have some good stuff.
The above assumes a temperature of 65 to 72 degrees F. for the first few days and then not exceeding 80 degrees F. for the balance of the time.
It is summer so unless you are in Greenland or the Arctic, I assume your basement temp. are in warmer ranges. Foods will ferment at 45 degrees F. but I believe for kraut, that extends the usually 21 days to 6 months or so.
Hope this helps.
Jim in So Calif

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here