Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Do you get your pressure canner or dial tested every year?

TxMarti
10 years ago

If so, where? My local county ag dept doesn't do it anymore, doesn't know anyone who does. I looked online and found that Presto will do it, but you have to pack the gauge carefully and ship it to them. I would wonder if the shipping would mess up the gauge and would still wonder about it when it got back.

Is there any way to self test it?

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

That's the primary reason most of us switched or converted to weighted canners. It is easy to convert Prestos and there are many, many discussions here about why and how to do it. It is cheaper then getting the testing done in many places or shipping to Presto.

But if you want to keep using your gauge for some reason then other than Presto the only place I know of is hydraulic's shops, auto and farm hydraulic repair shops. They have the testing equipment for all sorts of gauges.

But yes, if I had to use a gauge canner for some reason then I would sure wanted it tested regularly. The risk of not doing it is too high for my comfort level.

Dave

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just found a video that shows how you can test the gauge yourself using the Presto canner tester. However, I went to the Presto website and there is nothing listed like that.

I also didn't see the weights to convert. Where do you get them?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

As I mentioned there are many discussions here that the search will pull up if you need all the details.

Briefly, what you need is Presto part# 50332 and it is available at amazon.com and several other online canning supply sources. Many of the previous discussions includes source links. Plus others have said that local ACE hardware will order it for you too.

It is a 3 piece weight set and replaces the 1 piece pressure regulator on the vent stem of the canner. If your canner is an old model with a petcock then you also need to buy the new stem.

It has been tested and approved by NCHFP.

Dave

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks. Sounds like a better option than sending it to Presto. Two years ago I took it to another county (where a relative lived) but they don't do it now either.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this the right one?

I have a lot of trouble regulating the burner on my stove top. I have to stand by the entire time, turning the burner up or down to keep the pressure steady. Will that be even harder when there is no gauge to watch? With my pressure cooker, I've gotten used to the sound the rocker should make - but that's only after burning a lot of food in it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yes that is the right one. No it will be easier to keep the pressure steady as the weights do the work. The 3 Presto weights are machined to gently rock continuously when at pressure rather than just a couple of times a minute as with other brands. You can hear them steadily rocking.

Ideally you should not have to make any heat adjustments during pressure canning once the pressure is achieved. Trying to fine tune pressure based on a gauge causes siphoning and other issues. With a weighted canner that isn't necessary.

Once converted note that your processing times and or pressures used will change on some foods. When in doubt use the NCHFP instructions.

Dave

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I think what a lot of people don't understand about the weights is that they release any pressure over the amount selected (three pieces for 5#, 10#, or 15#, they stack).

You still want to adjust the burner down to maintain a "gentle rocking" as opposed to violent rocking, but unlike the gauges, you don't have to sit there and watch/adjust for every little movement.

The weights allow anything over 10# (if that's what your'e using) to escape. I love mine and would never, never go back! For anyone who has used a gauge, it's a matter of learning to trust the weights and not watch a gauge.

Deanna

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Deana, I totally agree. I gave away a dial gauge pressure canner away for free.

I do recommend checking the pressure relief valve EACH use. Amazing how far it goes it explodes.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

The Presto gauge testers are for those of us that work at an extension office, not sold to the general public. That is why you don't find it listed for sale.

The weight set is so easy to use. Just put on after venting the canner, then wait until it jiggles, then set the timer. It just vents out and keeps the pressure where it should be.