Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayskats

cherry tomatoes

kayskats
16 years ago

Carol, I ran across a thread where you said:

"I do have a French recipe for a pickled cherry tomato. ... if you're interested, let me know and I'll post it. "

I couldn't find it posted, so may I have it?

(no rush, I won't have any cherry tomatoes for at least a month.

Thanks, Kay

Comments (23)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Here you go Kay.

I only made this once. I need to try it again. The first attempt I discovered that when the recipe says "Firm" it means "Firm!" My cherry tomatoes were too ripe and delicate for the best texture.

Pickled Cherry Tomatoes (Tomates-Cerises a l'Aigre-doux)
    Makes 1 quart
    Â 1 quart water
    Â 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
    Â 1 pound firm cherry tomatoes (round and plum varieties of all colors can be used)
    Â 2 cups cider vinegar
    Â 1/4 cup granulated sugar or more to taste
    Â 2 sprigs fresh summer savory or tarragon
    Â 12 black peppercorns
    In a large bowl, combine the water and salt, and stir to dissolve the salt.
    Prick the bottom of each tomato once with a clean needle. Place the tomatoes in the salt brine, cover and marinate for 24 hours at room temperature.
    In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring just to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and cool thoroughly.
    Remove the tomatoes from the salt brine and drain thoroughly. Discard the salt brine.
    Carefully place the tomatoes in a 1-quart canning jar. Arrange the herbs and peppercorns around the edges of the jar. Pour the vinegar-sugar mixture over the tomatoes. Secure the jar tightly. Let sit in a cool, dry place -- or in the refrigerator -- for 3 weeks before tasting.
    Serve as a pickle, or as an appetizer, with toothpicks to spear. Once opened, the tomatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. -- From Sharon Maasdam, home economist, FOODday

Carol

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cerises a l'Aigre-doux .. now if I can learn to pronounce that, I'm sure to impress ...
    This is a definite ... just hope I can get a variety of colors .... would be beautiful
    Thanks!!!!

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried these recently? Cherry tomatoes everywhere here.

ML

• prairie_love
    15 years ago

I made these last year and I agree with Carol - use very firm, even slightly underripe tomatoes. I used a variety of colors - red, yellow, orange, purple - and it made a very beautiful jar of pickled tomatoes. However, I have to say that I personally did not particularly care for them. They tasted too much like apple cider vinegar (surprise, surprise). As Carol often points out though, we all have different tastes, and you very easily may love these. They are simple to do and I would very much recommend trying them to see if you like them..

Ann

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made them last year ... with "goldilocks" tomatoes (some too green, some tooo ripe, a few just right). I don't think I'll do it again unless I grow my own and can pick 'em to order. The really ripe ones broke down and the not ripe enough didn't acidify.
    What I really want to do is use all green toms and Champaigne wine Vinegar. I'd probably use dill and many needle pricks. I think the taragon was a bit too subtle for the strong vinegar.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Personally, I don't like the idea of cider vinegar in these. I never did understand why the recipe called for it. The color isn't as attractive and I don't think it suits the tarragon either.

IIRC I used white wine vinegar. That and mixed color cherry tomatoes make for a very attractive jar.

I know some have raved about these little pickles but it's a recipe that definitely could benefit from some tinkering.

Carol

• prairie_love
    15 years ago

Yes, and I think maybe I will try some tinkering this summer. The white wine vinegar would be a bit improvement, I'm sure.

Carol, what does IIRC stand for?

Ann, the net-illiterate

• readinglady
    15 years ago

If I Remember Correctly.

I like your idea of piercing the tomatoes more thoroughly. I may give these a run myself this summer because if this hot dry weather holds we'll be awash in tomatoes. The first really good tomato year since 2003.

The tarragon is also prolific but I'm thinking maybe I'll try pints and do a jar or two with marjoram.

Carol

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carol ... they are beautiful in the tall quilted jars (12 oz I think)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I do use those 12 oz. quilted jars for a lot of things. I particularly like them for pickled asparagus. It's the perfect amount and the jars are just that bit taller for a better fit.

Carol

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Cider vinegar is used mostly on sweet pickles and B&B where there are more than one or two spices are used. Its a bit more mellow in sweet brines.

• zabby17
    15 years ago

I tried this last year. I grow a lot of cherry toms. I used mostly grape tomatoes, which have a nice, sturdy skin. They tasted just like you'd think from the ingredients in the brine---nice for a garnish, though not something I'd want to eat tonnes of, but my pickle-loving sister-in-law really enjoyed them. THey sure did make a pretty jar, though, and they kept forever (I still have a few in the fridge, though haven't tried them in months).

I will probably make a small batch later htis year (the grape tom plant is just starting to produce here, sigh) and may try the white wine vinegar and a shmancier jar.

Zabby

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

WQelcom to the club. I started my grape tomatoes back in March indoors. Do yours have pointed ends on the bottoms? Mine look like mini plum tomatoes. I have no idea what type as they just showed up last summer within my huge beef steak type tomatoes. I removed, dried, and saved some seeds and thats what is the only type I am growing this year.

There is a white balsamic out there too. A US business Trader Joe's sold a white (water clear) balsamic, but after using some and it sitting in he pantry a while, its now an amber color.

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

er ... what is
    shmancier?

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Fancy shmancy.. a bit of yiddish there..

• moosemac
    15 years ago

Here's my FAVORITE:

Cherry Tomatoes Marinated in Vodka
    Aka Bloody Mary Hors d'oeuvres

30-40 small cherry tomatoes, assorted colors
    1 tablespoon very finely minced garlic
    1 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    750 ml Absolut Citron Vodka (or equivalent quality Vodka)
    1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    Tabasco sauce (optional)
    Parsley (garnish)
    Lemon pepper seasoning
    Toothpicks (placed in shot glass)

Prick the bottom of each tomato once 3/4 of the way through with a skewer, put them in a large bowl and add the garlic (as much or as little as you like), a little salt & pepper, Worcestershire, Tabasco and above all vodka. (I've also added horseradish to this mix. It depends on your preference.)

Allow the tomatoes to soak up the vodka, stirring occasionally. Let them soak overnight and after 24 hours they can be put in the refrigerator. Note: Chill before serving.

To serve, pour into the large oversized martini glass and serve with a shot glass of Lemon Pepper for dipping or toss with Lemon Pepper seasoning. Serve with a shot glass of toothpicks.

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

someone who thinks like me although I'd use gin - kay

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Now that sounds good (though I'd skip the gin!).

Since we're speaking of Vodka, I just ran across this refrigerator pickle posted on the roadfood.com forum. Instructions are skimpy but shouldn't be a problem here.

Vodka Pickles
    3 medium cucumbers
    2 c water
    1/4 c salt
    1/4 c vodka
    1/2 c white vinegar
    6 cloves garlic(sliced or crushed)
    3 chili peppers(chopped)
    6 sprigs dill (chopped)

Cut up cucumbers, pack loosely in 1 quart jar.

Bring liquids and salt to a boil. Add spices to jar.
    Cover and store in refrigerator. Pickles are ready in one week.

You can substitute red pepper flakes and dill weed if fresh is not available.

She also notes that she has cut the salt to half and the pickles were still good.

Carol

• valereee
    15 years ago

I found this recipe at the Baltimore Sun today, was wondering about the inversion instruction. It doesn't call for refrigerating them, so it seems the inversion instruction is meant to seal the jar.

Here's the recipe:

Fill a sterile, 1-quart Mason jar with stemmed green cherry tomatoes that have been pierced with a skewer. In a pot, put 1 1/2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water, 3 tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon celery seed and 1 teaspoon dill seed, and bring to just short of a boil. Pour the heated mixture onto the tomatoes, close the jar lid, let it sit a few minutes, then invert the jar. Let it sit upside down for a few more minutes, then right the jar. Let the sealed jar sit for two weeks, then pop it open and drop one of the pickled green tomatoes into your martini.

Here is a link that might be useful: pickled green cherry tomatoes

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I suppose Boog (love his 'cue) does that to seal 'em, but I'd put 'em in the refrigerator as soon as they're cooled.
    Kay

• bejay9_10
    15 years ago

My favorite way to prepare the "green" cherry types is to ferment them, as you would fermented pickles. Adding a lot of garlic and dill weed is great too.

They are sometimes included in a last of the garden fermenting brine with other vegetables available at that time. The combination of flavors is delightful, and they hold their shape well too.

Bejay

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bejay ... do you use the green cherries whole and do you prick them?
    kay

• bejay9_10
    15 years ago

They are used whole - I don't prick them. The size is about an inch in diameter. Alternating layers of vegetables - such as small onions, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, celery, green tomatoes, etc., makes for interesting flavors too.

Last year, I put the finished product in the food processor and canned it in a water bath - made a great relish.

Bejay