Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minuteb

Rules of thumb for converting to low sugar using Pomona?

minuteb
9 years ago

Hi all,

Are there any basic rules to follow if you want to reduce the sugar in a jam recipe and substitute Pomona pectin to compensate?

In my searching I've found specific low sugar recipes made with Pomona, but I'd like to use my tried and true recipes (currently made without pectin)

I make a blueberry conserve that has 2 cups brown sugar to 4 cups of berries

This is the onion Jam and it's still a little too sweet for my liking even though it's a cup of "sweeteners" to 6 onions.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers... Thanks, Anne

Onion Jam

1. 4 tablespoons olive oil

2. 6 onions, large diced

3. 2/3 cup sugar

4. 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (not the aged sweet stuff)

5. 1/2 cup brandy

6. 1/3 cup honey

7. 7 sprigs fresh rosemary, stems removed

8. 1 teaspoon salt

9. 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

10. Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and cook until soft and translucent on medium high heat.

11. Once softened, lower heat to medium or medium low, and continue to cook onions until brown and caramelized. This will take a while.

12. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low stirring occasionally until the jam reaches the gel point. To test jam, place a small plate in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. When jam starts to get thick, remove from heat and spoon a bit onto the frozen plate, and place back in freezer for 2 minutes. If the jam barely moves and looks like a proper jam, it is done. If the jam pools juice and looks loose, place pot back on stove until thicker and test again.

13. Pour hot jam into clean hot quarter pint jars and boil in a water bath for 10 min (15 minutes for half pint jars). Let cool and store in a dark place. Refrigerate any excess.�Yields 5 quarter pints

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Is there a reason you don't want to just use standard powdered low/no sugar pectin? Much easier to work with and better results than with Pomona IMO. You'll find the same opinion in many of the other Pomona discussions here.

Conversions to Pomona when the recipe calls for standard or no pectin can get complex and give poor quality setting results and a questionable mouth feel as it works so differently from standard pectin.

That said Pomona will gel just about anything so the amount of sugar used is "to taste". per the instructions on the Pomona website (and don't forget the added acid needed). They strongly suggest you stick with their tested recipes for good reason.

Dave

• malna
    9 years ago

I've been using Pomona Pectin for years. With some experimentation (and possibly a few failed batches in the process), you'll learn how it reacts to different sweeteners, etc.

Since their cookbook came out, they've really expanded their website. Spend some time looking through the FAQ's, download the updated basic instructions, and check out the link below. They encourage you to develop new recipes or convert your favorites.

The staff is super helpful. I've always gotten a quick response to a "Contact Us" email or leaving a comment on one of their posts. Don't hesitate to contact them.

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Develop Your Own Recipes

• minuteb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave and Malna,

I had chosen Pomona last year as it didn't need sugar to gel, it was still natural, and I could also use other sweeteners like maple syrup (I'm a vermonter) and honey. And the reviews seemed pretty favorable. I didn't get a chance to work with it since I was a little stumped as to how to convert a sugared recipe into a pectin using recipe.

Sounds like I need to do more research this year. I had explored the Pomona site last summer and didn't come up with an answer, so I'll get back up there.

Dave, is there a particular brand of low/no sugar pectin you would recommend for recipes with alternative sweeteners?

I took a very quick look on the Ball site and tried their tool for choosing a pectin, but it only gives fruit as the options and we make a lot of onion and tomato jams. Yum...

Many thanks again,

Anne

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Dave, is there a particular brand of low/no sugar pectin you would recommend for recipes with alternative sweeteners?

Yes we work with the Ball Lo/No Sugar all the time with excellent results. Wife has found it to be the very best methods for no sugar/pure fruit jams. Tomato jam works fine with it, never tried any onion ones but the jalapeno pepper jelly turns out great with it. We have experimented with Pomona several times but the need to experiment as well as the loose set just doesn't appeal to us when the Ball pectin is so reliable.

Dave