Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Ferment Cow/crowder peas?

I have so many Hercules peas this year!

I have canned, frozen, and dehydrated more than I can ever eat!

I'm in an experimenting mood this year! I made leather britches and I love them.

Now I'm thinking about another experiment. I'm going to try fermenting some peas.

Google doesn't help much, anyone know what to do?

Comments (8)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Ferment how exactly? Do you want them as a fermented pickle? Or something strange like Japanese natto? (I'm not even sure if you can make natto with cowpeas but it might be an interesting experiment. And I've got no idea how natto tastes.)

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Natto

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 17:24

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I want them as a fermented pickle if possible.

Edit to add: I plan to shell them.

This post was edited by wertach on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 11:35

• glib
    9 years ago

i am having lunch and cruising the web, eating potatoes (a salad with garlic olive oil dressing), a small piece of salmon, and a cup of homemade natto (and a few plums). Further, I can assure you that natto can be done with virtually every bean, although it is best to start with soy until you understand the process. Natto bacteria can be purchased at Cultures for Health, and natto is, IMHO, the healthiest fermented food, although I consider krauts and kimchi healthy too.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I want to make Natto after reading about it on a recipe site!

From the site:

"Of course, to appreciate this very nutritious and distinctive delicacy, you need to get over the smell. Some people say it smells rotten, but I would say itâÂÂs more like stinky feet. On top of that, it is has an unusual texture, very sticky and slimy. It is definitely an acquired taste, and may not be something most people are able to enjoy the first time they try it."

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Well you did say you wanted to experiment. haha

According to the link below, in a related post Dave (digdirt) said that any brine strength from "The Joy of Pickling" book will work. Here are the brine strengths:

Salt to add per gallon of water:
    1/3 cup salt = 2.4% brine strength
    1/2 c. = 3.5%
    2/3c. = 4.7%
    3/4c. = 5.2%
    1c. = 6.9%

Salt to add per quart of water:
    1.5T. salt = 2.7% brine strength
    2T. = 3.5%
    3T. = 5.4%
    1/4c. = 6.9%
    1/3c. = 8.9%

These measurements are using pickling salt. A different type of salt will measure differently.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled beans? Not green beans, real beany-beans!

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 13:22

• glib
    9 years ago

not true at all. Natto smells exactly like some of the french cheeses which have been aged a long time. It goes very well with olive oil and salt, on top of rice.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

wertach - do you like hummus? You can use them to make it if you do.

I have never tried fermenting them but would expect clay mush I think. If you do it let us know how they turn out.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rodney, I will give that a try!

Dave, yes, I like hummus the kind with garlic and tomatoes from the grocery store deli. I'm not sure if I would want to try to make a big batch though. It would spoil before I could eat it all.

It may turn to mush like you said, but I'm in an experimenting mood!

I might try pickling some using the pickled beans nchfp recipe for green beans? Your thoughts on that?