Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt? Canning Cherry Peppers?

Posted by ncage z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 14:44

This is my first attempt at canning cherry peppers. I have the ball blue book canning book. I've seen a variety of recipes for canning peppers. Some use Sugar and some don't. I thought all used salt but the first recipe for canning hot peppers in the pickling section doesn't use salt which confused me. I thought salt was required. What is the difference in the final product when you don't use salt and when you do? Does it affect how long they will last?

They have one other recipe for pickled peppers in the book but it includes sugar which i don't want.

thanks..

On a side note i probably don't want a recipe with sugar in it for my cherry peppers but i might use one with sugar when i can my cajun bells.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt? Canning Cherry Peppers?

The salt is always optional unless you are fermenting things as it is the main safety factor in fermenting.

But for fresh-pack pickling recipes you can leave it out although it does add a bit of flavor and crispness in some cases. It doesn't affect how long they will last.

As to the sugar, it is primarily used to take the edge off the vinegar's sharp flavor. It doesn't turn them into "sweet" pickled peppers.

The primary safety issue in pickling peppers is the ratio of vinegar to water called for in the recipe. The other issue that concerns many is the crispness of the pickled peppers which is why using Pickle Crisp when making them is often recommended.

There are many discussions here about pickling peppers, some with recipes, and additional recipes are also available at NCHFP.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickling vegetables including various peppers

o
RE: Salt? Canning Cherry Peppers?

Thanks Dave for explaining everything

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here