Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato water

Posted by goobergrl6 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 14:45

Is there any use for it? I juice my tomatoes first with my kitchen Aid and then cook it down but read a great tip the other day to run the juice thru a jelly bag to separate out the water so that I do not have to cook down the sauce as long. It is working great ( a little slow going but faster then cooking down the sauce) but I was wondering if there was anything I could do with the water I am getting from the tomatoes.

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato water

Sure. Can it to use as a soup base, for meatloaf, for chili or stews, it can be added to the crockpot instead of water for more flavor to roasts and other recipes. You can also use it add tomato flavor to many other dishes. Too good to waste.

Dave

o

Yeah, what Dave said!! :)
If you don't want to use it right now, freeze it in convenient sizes (even ice cube trays), pop out of the container and into a ziploc bag.

Nice for "cooling" a veggie soup, adding flavor as noted.

You can always just drink it too!

Deanna

o

I actually put my crushed tomatoes in a colander to get rid of a lot of the excess juice. I then can the juice in pints. Mainly use it in soup all winter long.

As for the "real" tomato water - it is served as a refresher course in lots of upscale restaurants.

o

So can I can it or should I Just freeze it? Also should it look like apple juice?

Lisa

o

So can I can it or should I Just freeze it?

As already said above, can it or freeze it. Either works. The choice is yours.

Also should it look like apple juice?

How it looks all depends on the variety of tomato used and what seasonings you added before straining it out. Apple juice tends to be shades of golden brown. Tomato water is usually reddish.

Dave

o

If you think you will only use a couple spoonfuls at a time, then you are probably better off freezing in ice cube trays. If you think you will be using larger quantities, can it. I mostly use pints and occasionally half pints. I usually just throw the jars in with my tomatoes, but if I was processing separately, I would use the time recommended for tomato juice.

Since I use a colander, I do get a few solids coming thru. But my stuff is kinda pale orange. I would think with the jelly bag, the solids wouldn't be there, so it would be more yellowish.

o

Sorry Dave totally missed the words "can it" before soup base ect.... LOL As you can see it was late when I asked that and I am not sure I was all there. Thanks everyone! Guess I will can it up tonight.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here