Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

Can I sub lime juice for lemon juice?

Kerry Vetter
11 years ago

I am making a mixed berry jam, recipe below. It calls for 3/4 cup lemon juice, well I have only 1/4 cup and was planning on making it during nap time (which is now). My question is, can I use lime juice to make up for the remaining 1/2 cup or no?

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma Mixed Berry Jam

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yes you can sub bottled lime juice for bottled lemon juice. It will affect the flavor substantially however.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that is a bummer, I dont want it to alter the flavor that is for sure. Thanks. I guess I am on to look for another blueberry jam recipe...

• malna
    11 years ago

A lot of folks like the blueberry lime jam from the Ball Blue Book. I think the substitution sounds good, but I adore the flavor of lime :-) Might be something to ponder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of Blueberry Lime Jam

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

can I use fresh lime juice? Thanks

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at that recipe, I have instant pectin. can i use that in the blueberry lime recipe?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Instant pectin? There is powdered pectin or liquid pectin. Which form and brand name do you have?

As a general guide you can add powdered pectin to any recipe but not liquid pectin. But normally it is used only when specified by the recipe. They are not interchangeable.

You can use fresh lime or lemon juice when making jams and jellies because they are not there for safety reason (with a couple of exceptions). They are included to make the jam/jelly set.

But when the lemon/lime juice is used for acidification reasons, such as when canning tomatoes, then bottled juices only. Fresh lemons and limes have a wide range of pH, bottled juices are stabilized with a fixed pH.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Blueberry Lime is a great combo! But what are other berries in the mix? Link didn't work for me. Might not be as good with other berries.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at that recipe, I have instant pectin. can i use that in the blueberry lime recipe?

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have this instant pectin: http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-realfruit-instant-pectin-4-7-oz/shop/382681/

Thanks for the clarification on the jams and jellies for fresh vs bottled!

the other berries I am using are cherries. I ended up making a blueberry syrup and will run out tomorrow and get some more lemon juice:)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hmm, some new stuff from Ball. Powdered apparently but it is made to use with no-cook jams. No information provided on how or if it would work with all the standard cooked jams and jellies.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Personally I think the recipe would be fine with 1/4 cup lemon juice. If I were making that preserve, I wouldn't consider as much as 3/4 cup.

It's a no-commercial-pectin jam and should work fine with the lesser amount. In fact, I venture to guess in flavor and set it might well work better. 3/4 of a cup is a lot of lemon, unless you like that in your berries, and the acid may throw off the pectin-acid-sugar balance.

Carol

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I made this jam last year and it was wonderful! I used strawberries and blueberries and the 3/4 cup lemon juice. Thank you for the inputs! still have to figure out what to do with instant pectin...

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I thought instant pectin was for no-cook freezer jam.