Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I sub lime juice for lemon juice?

Posted by kerryv MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 14:49

I am making a mixed berry jam, recipe below. It calls for 3/4 cup lemon juice, well I have only 1/4 cup and was planning on making it during nap time (which is now). My question is, can I use lime juice to make up for the remaining 1/2 cup or no?

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma Mixed Berry Jam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I sub lime juice for lemon juice?

Yes you can sub bottled lime juice for bottled lemon juice. It will affect the flavor substantially however.

Dave

o

that is a bummer, I dont want it to alter the flavor that is for sure. Thanks. I guess I am on to look for another blueberry jam recipe...

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 16:17

A lot of folks like the blueberry lime jam from the Ball Blue Book. I think the substitution sounds good, but I adore the flavor of lime :-) Might be something to ponder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of Blueberry Lime Jam

o

can I use fresh lime juice? Thanks

o

I looked at that recipe, I have instant pectin. can i use that in the blueberry lime recipe?

o

Instant pectin? There is powdered pectin or liquid pectin. Which form and brand name do you have?

As a general guide you can add powdered pectin to any recipe but not liquid pectin. But normally it is used only when specified by the recipe. They are not interchangeable.

You can use fresh lime or lemon juice when making jams and jellies because they are not there for safety reason (with a couple of exceptions). They are included to make the jam/jelly set.

But when the lemon/lime juice is used for acidification reasons, such as when canning tomatoes, then bottled juices only. Fresh lemons and limes have a wide range of pH, bottled juices are stabilized with a fixed pH.

Dave

o

Blueberry Lime is a great combo! But what are other berries in the mix? Link didn't work for me. Might not be as good with other berries.

o

I looked at that recipe, I have instant pectin. can i use that in the blueberry lime recipe?

o

I have this instant pectin: http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-realfruit-instant-pectin-4-7-oz/shop/382681/

Thanks for the clarification on the jams and jellies for fresh vs bottled!

the other berries I am using are cherries. I ended up making a blueberry syrup and will run out tomorrow and get some more lemon juice:)

o

Hmm, some new stuff from Ball. Powdered apparently but it is made to use with no-cook jams. No information provided on how or if it would work with all the standard cooked jams and jellies.

Dave

o

Personally I think the recipe would be fine with 1/4 cup lemon juice. If I were making that preserve, I wouldn't consider as much as 3/4 cup.

It's a no-commercial-pectin jam and should work fine with the lesser amount. In fact, I venture to guess in flavor and set it might well work better. 3/4 of a cup is a lot of lemon, unless you like that in your berries, and the acid may throw off the pectin-acid-sugar balance.

Carol

o

I made this jam last year and it was wonderful! I used strawberries and blueberries and the 3/4 cup lemon juice. Thank you for the inputs! still have to figure out what to do with instant pectin...

o

I thought instant pectin was for no-cook freezer jam.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here