Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving Hot Peppers

Posted by veeta (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 14:51

I have grown Tunisian baklouti hot peppers with the express purpose of making the north African saude harissa. The recipe I usually make calls for rehydrated dried New Mexico peppers, so I thought these would be more authentic and that I would dry them as well. However, I'd like to consider my options for preserving them. Does anyone have any suggestions? (e.g., pureeing and freezing, etc.) I do not have a dehydrator, and if I dry them outside I fear the birds would not resist--though they have so far stayed clear of the ripe peppers on the plants--and this 100 degree week would be perfect.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving Hot Peppers

Oven dry them if you have no dehydrator. It is less energy efficient but works. And then freeze them until ready for use. That would give them the longest storage life.

Dave

o

Thanks--I'll try that with the fall harvest, but with the currently ripe ones I may just take chances with drying outside, as it's going to be 100 this week! Plus, my gas stove really smells when it is on low temps (I assume you do this at low temps--is that right?).

o

Can you string them and dry in an enclosed area, such as a garage or someplace the birds won't get them ?
If it is that hot they should dry if you string them.
Yes, an oven would be low heat, and you prop the door open and put a fan on the side to blow out the moisture. Not a great solution, I don't think.
That, or can you rig up a box with something for racks to keep the birds out ? Use some vinyl window screen for racks. Walmart has Nesco dehydrators for a good price. Not the lousy Ronco or Sunbeam? ones they have, but the Nesco are good ones. About $50.

o

Thanks--I could hang them inside a shed, or I could use a door screen to protect them if I can figure out how to put it all together--I bet on my flat shed roof they'd dry super quick!

o

My past attempts at drying peppers included tying 2 screens together in butterfly fashion, and hanging them outside my kitchen window. It worked fairly well, although did require more watching - to prevent sun scorching, etc.

However, one thing I do recall, it was best to cut the peppers in rings, to prevent the edges from rolling over onto themselves. If that happens, it provides an opportunity for mold to set in.

Because of my damp climate, I find a dehydrator to be the better option.

Bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here