Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

Anyone use Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix recipe?

KSprairie
11 years ago

Pickle Crisp is not stocked locally, so I bought a jar of Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix (BKDPM) because it has calcium chloride already in it.

The ingredients are: salt, dehy garlic, calcium chloride, dextrose, maltodextrin, dill seed, less than 2% of spices, natural flavors & color, silicon dioxide. Instructions are to mix 1/4 cup of the mix with 2 cups water and 1 cup vinegar. This makes 2 quarts of pickles. Process in boiling water canner.

This is a Ball recipe, so can I assume this is safe and approved?

Does anyone also add dill heads and/or garlic to the jars as you would if you were making the NCHFP Quick Fresh-Pack Dill Pickle recipe or other approved dill pickle recipe? I used NCHFP recipes last year, but without adding Pickle Crisp my pickles were not crunchy of course.

One last question:

Do you think I can use this mix for pickling Okra? The NCHFP Pickled Dilled Okra recipe calls for equal amounts of water and vinegar. If I do that, and use this mix to replace the salt and spices, but still add the hot peppers, will that be safe?

Thank you for your help.

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

As a very general rule those here who use the packaged mixes seem to prefer the Mrs. Wages mixes over the Ball ones. It isn't a safety issue IF you follow the instructions on the package to the letter, just a taste preference. I have only used the Ball mix one time and it was ok but wife and I both agree we prefer the Mrs. Wages.

The issue with adding other ingredients or using the mixes in ways not intended by the manufacturer (as in using it for okra) can be a safety issue. If you do that you have no way of knowing how far out of whack you have shifted the pH.

You can always add additional dried herbs and seasons with no concerns (except for flavor changes) but you are not supposed to add fresh ingredients, especially when they are low acid like dill and garlic are. You would be altering the pH substantially and the mix is balanced only to cover the ingredients listed in its recipe.

This doesn't mean you can't do it, just that it would be done at your own risk.

Dave

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Pickle Crisp (aka calcium chloride) is often available as food grade calcium chloride if you can't find Pickle Crisp.

I noted today that the Walmart here still have a good supply of Pickle Crisp jars and so did Ace Hardware. And of course it is readily available online under both names.

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I live in a very rural area and we don't have a big selection of canning supplies to choose from. When I came across the Ball mix, I was so excited because I saw it had the calcium chloride already in it.
    I think based upon your advice, I'll make the trip to the big 'city' and find some calcium chloride, or Mrs. Wages if that's not available.
    Thanks!

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I live in a very rural area and we don't have a big selection of canning supplies to choose from. When I came across the Ball mix, I was so excited because I saw it had the calcium chloride already in it.
    I think based upon your advice, I'll make the trip to the big 'city' and find some calcium chloride, or Mrs. Wages if that's not available.
    Thanks!

• junelynn
    11 years ago

You can order it from Bulkfoods.com
    That's where I got mine from...

• digdirt2
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Floating is usually not a safety issue. It simply means that air was still trapped in the vegetable pieces. Over time, assuming it was processed correctly, they will sink.

But slimy can be a serious problem as it is often indicative of too low acid brine (too little vinegar) and the food should not be consumed. The problem okra is often slimy naturally, especially if overly mature when harvested. So there is no way to know if the slimy results was from the okra or the too-low-acidity. To be safe I would recommend tossing them.

" Are these ingredients good enough to can 1 quart of okra I'm using canning salt, garlic, ( ball) kosher dill pickle mix , and some (ball) mixed pickling spice, and the okra. These are the ingredients I have as of now. I know nothing at all."

There are many tested and approved recipes for making pickled okra and when one is new to canning only those tested and approved recipes should be used. In all cases the amounts that can be added are limited to the specific amounts in the recipe - no additions.

In other words the Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix is safe to use IF you follow the instructions on the label. I don't have a packet of it to check butyou would use only the packet mix, and the vinegar and water it calls for and the okra. No additional pickling spices or salt can be added unless the instructions call for them. I doubt they do as the salt and all the spices should already be in the mix in the packet.

As for quarts - only if the instructions call for quarts. Normally such instructions are for pints only and you can never go to a larger jar than what is in the instructions as it creates safety issues in the pH and the processing time required.

If you want to use an approved recipe for Pickled Okra instead use this one.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_dill_okra.html

Dave

• Judy Pipkin Ferguson
    3 years ago

I bought a container of Kosher Dill Pickle Mix (Crunchier Pickles) and there are no instructions. The Ball web site is not helpful. We Will us Mrs. Wages as it has explicit directions.

• Lori Harris
    3 years ago

I have same problem. Who puts out a mix without directions and processing times? Ticks me off, especially coming from Ball!

• Lisa Hayes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I thought the same thing. And the FreshPreserving.com website only gives you recipes for the packaged amounts, not the containers that I bought (tsp, tbsp, etc). AWW!

• Beth Miller
    2 years ago

In assuming no one has figured out the Kosher Dill Pickle Mix intructions?

• HU-443483225
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

1 cup Kosher Dill Pickle Mix with Pickle Crisp included, 8 cups water, 4 cups vinegar, Process according to your elevation. Makes 8 to 9 Quarts. or 16 to 18 pints

Call your local county extension office for that info. That is why they are there. To help homemakers, preppers etc.