Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix recipe?

Posted by KSprairie 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 14:56

Pickle Crisp is not stocked locally, so I bought a jar of Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix (BKDPM) because it has calcium chloride already in it.
The ingredients are: salt, dehy garlic, calcium chloride, dextrose, maltodextrin, dill seed, less than 2% of spices, natural flavors & color, silicon dioxide. Instructions are to mix 1/4 cup of the mix with 2 cups water and 1 cup vinegar. This makes 2 quarts of pickles. Process in boiling water canner.

This is a Ball recipe, so can I assume this is safe and approved?
Does anyone also add dill heads and/or garlic to the jars as you would if you were making the NCHFP Quick Fresh-Pack Dill Pickle recipe or other approved dill pickle recipe? I used NCHFP recipes last year, but without adding Pickle Crisp my pickles were not crunchy of course.

One last question:
Do you think I can use this mix for pickling Okra? The NCHFP Pickled Dilled Okra recipe calls for equal amounts of water and vinegar. If I do that, and use this mix to replace the salt and spices, but still add the hot peppers, will that be safe?
Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix recipe?

As a very general rule those here who use the packaged mixes seem to prefer the Mrs. Wages mixes over the Ball ones. It isn't a safety issue IF you follow the instructions on the package to the letter, just a taste preference. I have only used the Ball mix one time and it was ok but wife and I both agree we prefer the Mrs. Wages.

The issue with adding other ingredients or using the mixes in ways not intended by the manufacturer (as in using it for okra) can be a safety issue. If you do that you have no way of knowing how far out of whack you have shifted the pH.

You can always add additional dried herbs and seasons with no concerns (except for flavor changes) but you are not supposed to add fresh ingredients, especially when they are low acid like dill and garlic are. You would be altering the pH substantially and the mix is balanced only to cover the ingredients listed in its recipe.

This doesn't mean you can't do it, just that it would be done at your own risk.

Dave

o
RE: additional info

Pickle Crisp (aka calcium chloride) is often available as food grade calcium chloride if you can't find Pickle Crisp.

I noted today that the Walmart here still have a good supply of Pickle Crisp jars and so did Ace Hardware. And of course it is readily available online under both names.

Dave

o

Dave,
Thank you so much for your help.
I live in a very rural area and we don't have a big selection of canning supplies to choose from. When I came across the Ball mix, I was so excited because I saw it had the calcium chloride already in it.
I think based upon your advice, I'll make the trip to the big 'city' and find some calcium chloride, or Mrs. Wages if that's not available.
Thanks!

o

Dave,
Thank you so much for your help.
I live in a very rural area and we don't have a big selection of canning supplies to choose from. When I came across the Ball mix, I was so excited because I saw it had the calcium chloride already in it.
I think based upon your advice, I'll make the trip to the big 'city' and find some calcium chloride, or Mrs. Wages if that's not available.
Thanks!

o

You can order it from Bulkfoods.com
That's where I got mine from...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here