Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenofking

A SAFE refrigerator dill pickle recipe? Please?

QueenOfKing
11 years ago

Hi there. I'm new to canning/pickling. I've been reading the forums here (thank you!) and am looking for a proven SAFE refrigerator recipe for pickles (that will be eaten within a week...)

I've read that there are some not so safe ones and some that are (the vinegar to water ratio?)

Any help appreciated - want to make these tonight for this weekend! Thank you!

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

You can use the NCHFP recipe for starters and if you are making just a small batch they can go into the fridge rather than processing them.

The minimal safe vinegar to water ratio is 1:1, more vinegar is safer. The NCHFP recipe linked below is a bit less than 1:1 but it is lab tested. Those recipes that aren't lab tested, stick with the 1:1 ratio or more. Of course any 100% vinegar recipe would be ok.

But for most recipes it may take more than 1 week for taste to develop.

Here are some previous discussions on them, some with recipes.

And then there is the Mrs. Wages pickle mixes that many folks like.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick Fresh Pack Dill Pickles

• QueenOfKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Dave!

• skeip
    11 years ago

And I would like to offer this as my favorite

THE BEST REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

4 Cups thinly sliced Cucumbers
    1/2 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
    3 Cloves Garlic, sliced
    1 Teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
    1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
    1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
    1/2 Cup White Vinegar
    1/2 Cup Water
    3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Dill, or three Dill Heads

In a small saucepan, combine Water, Vinegar, Sugar and Salt, bring just to a boil and shut off heat.

In a quart jar place Peppercorns, Garlic, half the sliced Cucumbers, the Onion and Dill, and the rest of the Cucumbers, in that order. Pour in the hot Brine, leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Use a chopstick or knife to remove air bubbles. Store in the refrigerator. Best if allowed to stand a day for the flavors to come together. Makes one quart.

Steve

• Moms_Kitchen
    11 years ago

Dave is right about worrying about how much vinegar is in a pickle you are canning. If you are making a pickle for the fridge, there is no safety worry. You can use any ratio you like for vinegar and water.

• skeip
    11 years ago

"If you are making a pickle for the fridge, there is no safety worry. You can use any ratio you like for vinegar and water"

Not exactly true. Dave and I just had an extended email conversation about this very topic. His very considered advice was that the higher the vinegar to water ratio the longer you can keep them in the fridge. The recipe that I asked him about had a 1:1 ratio, and he felt that storing them for no more than three months in the refrigerator would be the safest. Aparently, after that the threat of Listeria becomes an issue. It comes down to your accceptable level of risk as to how long you store them.

Steve

• QueenOfKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, these are two jars at a time that haven't lasted longer than 3 DAYS in the fridge. LOL So I think I'm good!Thank you all for your responses (and recipes!)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

f you are making a pickle for the fridge, there is no safety worry. You can use any ratio you like for vinegar and water.

Sorry but I have to disagree with that statement. First because a 1:1 ratio of vinegar to water is the recommended MINIMUM safe ratio for any pickle - fridge or not - with the exception of a couple of NCHFP lab tested recipes. And the recommended storage time for that strength of brine is 3 months max.

Second because of all the water in the cucumbers any brine is quickly diluted even further. So using too little vinegar to begin with can quickly and easily lead to rapid listeria growth even in the fridge. Listeria has been proven to grow even down into the mid-30s.

So the ratio of vinegar is still quite relevant even in refrigerator pickles as that ratio is what will prevent listeria growth and control the length of safe storage time.

Dave