Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie canning question -- 'pop' sounds when cooling

Posted by mogzilla (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 15:40

So I made my first ever batch of raspberry jam today and when I took the lid off the pot for the cooling period I heard several "pop" sounds. I searched my Ball book, but can't find any reference to this happening.

I guess I'll find out in 24 hours if the jars properly sealed, but I was hoping one of the experts here would have some insight.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie canning question -- 'pop' sounds when cooling

Sounds to me like the perfectly normal (and highly desired) pinging of lids sealing. This often happens while the jars are still in the water.

Nothing to worry about. After the cooling time, remove and set on a towel to cool completely. After they are cool, verify that the lids are concave and you're good!!

Deanna

o

Ah, the joyful sound of the "ping" (plunk, pop, plonk, etc.)

Congrats on your first project. Many more in the future.

o

Thak you!!! I've been afraid of canning in the past, but got such a great deal at the farm on raspberries, I couldn't resist. I followed the Ball book instuctions to the "T", but both kids woke from their naps early and I was tryig to keep a preschooler and toddler out of the kitche while I finished.

o

Oh, mogzilla, you're going to come to love that sound!

It's made by the jars sealing: as they cool, air seeps out until a vacuum seal is formed, at which point the pressure is less inside the jar than out so the lid inverts slightly. Some jars can seal while still in the water, as has been said; some take a little while (up to several hours), so you may hear random "pings" (as they are often called, though I agree it sounds more like "pop") for some time after you take the jars out. You can feel the lid on a properly sealed jar bending downward and so having no "give" to it (whereas before it goes in the canner, a jar lid can be bounced up and down a bit easily with a finger).

Congratulations on your first canning! Aren't fresh raspberries just so amazing? You'll be delighted to be eating them in the dead of winter....

Zabby

o

I was "taught" by my first canning teacher to always say "thanks" when one hears the "pop" of a jar sealing. ;-D I still do it to this day.

o

LOL, Westelle, I also say "thanks". I love the sound of the lid sealing, it makes me smile!

Annie

o

westelle: When I helped my Aunt can in the 50s there was no popping. They were the old time wire-bale canning jars with rubber seals. The canner looked like the All American canner still with us today. Her cellar had shelves from ceiling to earthen floor filled with home canned goods. I have such fond memories of those days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here