Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canner not working, can I save jars till I get a new canner

Posted by newuanda IA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 15:49

Ok, so my canner is not working. It's old, needs a new ring, but possibly may not work even after replacing the rubber ring.

So after years of babying this thing along I'm going to get a new one.

My question is, can I save the jars I was in the middle of trying to can till my new canner arrives? If I put them in the fridge and then just put them in the new canner and process them will they be ok? My new canner will be here in 2 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canner not working, can I save jars till I get a new canner

No, you cannot just refrigerate and start again.
They are underprocessed at this point and allow for bacteria growth in the jar. You'll need to remove lids, and, depending on several variables, reprocess from the beginning in clean jars with new lids.

What are you processing?
What method?

We can help with specifics if we have a little more info!
Sorry about the problems, but better safe than sorry.

Deanna

o

processing beans; pressure cooker; cold pack

I can definitely drain them and then restart. Just wondering if they will be super mushy

o

processing beans; pressure cooker; cold pack

I can definitely drain them and then restart. Just wondering if they will be super mushy

o

How long are we talking about? If less than 24 hours, fine. Longer than that and they fall outside the safe-to-do guidelines. It not only becomes very risky but also leads to a notable decllne in quality. You'd do better to remove them from the jars and freeze them now.

Since green beans is one of the vegetables most at risk for botulism issues, trying to re-do them poses a greater risk than with some other vegetables.

What really concerns me is "after years of babying this thing along ". That would seem to indicate a long-standing problem that could easily have affected the safety of the foods done in the past as well. For example, pronounced gasket leaking usually results in under-processed foods Could you clarify exactly what the problems with the canner are?

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here