Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Canning gone bad

ruthieg__tx
14 years ago

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning gone bad.

Comments (10)

• caavonldy
    14 years ago

What in the world were they canning? I can't imagine how anything like that could happen. Yuck!

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I think we have all had something go bad on us at least once - exploding sauerkraut jars is one of my fond memories.

Every new canner should watch that video! Good one Ruthie. ;)

Dave

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

That loooks like a tomato sauce with peppers and such. Did you notice the rings were still screwed on VERY tight! If the rings were not there, the swelled up dome lids would have popped open long ago. They are lucky the jars didn't explode, even when they were opening them. Bet they were made with gandmas 'old recipe handed down from generations past'.. Ha, isn't home canning fun! If were my stuff, every home canned good would be thrown out!

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You have to assume they have been there for a loooooong time. Did you notice the lid that was already domed. I've actually never had anything go bad but I have never canned in huge quantities...I couldn't figure out what it was either but it looked gross...

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

Perhaps a bean and ham soup? Whatever IS GROSS!

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Within a short time the jars would have blown apart or leaked. Because the rings were 'cranked down tight', and they had to use a tool, to open them they were really on there. Yes, those lids were really bulging out!

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Looks to me like they tried to can refried beans. Opening the jars was REALLY foolish !! They could have easily killed themselves with botulism if it were present. A person should never open jars up of food with bulging lids !
    Scary.
    I need to try to see if we can download that somehow to use in our canning classes.

• valereee
    14 years ago

Linda Lou, it looked like refried beans to me, too. Watching them open all those jars in their sink made me wonder if any of them had gotten sick.

• got_bullmastiff
    14 years ago

**rushes off to remove rings from jars**

Linda Lou, you can grab the video with some online tools... google "Save youtube video" and a few will show up.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Yeah it does look like beans - exploded beans maybe.

The exploding sauerkraut jars years back convinced me on the removing the bands issue. ;)

Dave

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths