Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning gone bad

Posted by ruthieg__tx z8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 15:51

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning gone bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning gone bad

What in the world were they canning? I can't imagine how anything like that could happen. Yuck!

o

I think we have all had something go bad on us at least once - exploding sauerkraut jars is one of my fond memories.

Every new canner should watch that video! Good one Ruthie. ;)

Dave

o

That loooks like a tomato sauce with peppers and such. Did you notice the rings were still screwed on VERY tight! If the rings were not there, the swelled up dome lids would have popped open long ago. They are lucky the jars didn't explode, even when they were opening them. Bet they were made with gandmas 'old recipe handed down from generations past'.. Ha, isn't home canning fun! If were my stuff, every home canned good would be thrown out!

o

You have to assume they have been there for a loooooong time. Did you notice the lid that was already domed. I've actually never had anything go bad but I have never canned in huge quantities...I couldn't figure out what it was either but it looked gross...

o

Perhaps a bean and ham soup? Whatever IS GROSS!

o

Within a short time the jars would have blown apart or leaked. Because the rings were 'cranked down tight', and they had to use a tool, to open them they were really on there. Yes, those lids were really bulging out!

o

Looks to me like they tried to can refried beans. Opening the jars was REALLY foolish !! They could have easily killed themselves with botulism if it were present. A person should never open jars up of food with bulging lids !
Scary.
I need to try to see if we can download that somehow to use in our canning classes.

o

Linda Lou, it looked like refried beans to me, too. Watching them open all those jars in their sink made me wonder if any of them had gotten sick.

o

**rushes off to remove rings from jars**

Linda Lou, you can grab the video with some online tools... google "Save youtube video" and a few will show up.

o

Yeah it does look like beans - exploded beans maybe.

The exploding sauerkraut jars years back convinced me on the removing the bands issue. ;)

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here