Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Canning on an electric stove

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

How can you keep a steady simmer with a pressure canner on an electric stove? We are looking at houses that have only electricity - no gas or propane and I am wondering if this is going to affect my canning.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It will take some getting used to as it is very different than cooking with gas. But it can be done. I've done it for many years and put off getting a new stove just so I wouldn't have to go through the learning process all over again. Instead I and many others went to propane burners for most of our canning.

When pressure canning one doesn't go for a "steady simmer". Pressure canning is a very active boil and it is the pressure that counts - keeping it steady. That is what takes the practice and experimenting until you learn the stove's and the PC's quirks.

It is easier with some PCs than others IMO. My Presto is no problem because of the way the weights are machined for it. My older Mirros and especially my AA require more fine balancing when I use them on the stove.

Dave

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Electric coil stove? I canned on one for years, not a problem as long as all was perfectly level. Not level, and I would find my older weighted gauge canner would 'hang', not rock or jiggle exactly as it should. Level could be achieved with a carpenters small level, pennies under the burner ring.

Even that issue resolved when I bought a canning element for that Amana stove. One source - repairclinic.com, canning elements for several makes stove.

I have a different kitchen that came equipped with a glass top electric now, another conversation completely (:
    I'm canning outdoors over propane.

• Rick J Zone 6b
    9 years ago

I use a coil electric stove for my canning. Buy a thermometer and experiment with the settings. My stove will keep a steady simmer at about 3/4 full setting. I use a high heat porcelain square under one side to keep the pot level and steady.

• kriswrite
    9 years ago

I only use electric coil and have no problems whatsoever :)

• beebonnet
    9 years ago

It is best if your stove has 6 coils, not 4. You can buy a special canning unit for most electric brands that has 6 coils and sits up a little higher so you don't scorch the surface. I just found this out while searching for a new stove.