Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning on an electric stove

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 15:52

How can you keep a steady simmer with a pressure canner on an electric stove? We are looking at houses that have only electricity - no gas or propane and I am wondering if this is going to affect my canning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning on an electric stove

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:44

It will take some getting used to as it is very different than cooking with gas. But it can be done. I've done it for many years and put off getting a new stove just so I wouldn't have to go through the learning process all over again. Instead I and many others went to propane burners for most of our canning.

When pressure canning one doesn't go for a "steady simmer". Pressure canning is a very active boil and it is the pressure that counts - keeping it steady. That is what takes the practice and experimenting until you learn the stove's and the PC's quirks.

It is easier with some PCs than others IMO. My Presto is no problem because of the way the weights are machined for it. My older Mirros and especially my AA require more fine balancing when I use them on the stove.

Dave

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 19:36

Electric coil stove? I canned on one for years, not a problem as long as all was perfectly level. Not level, and I would find my older weighted gauge canner would 'hang', not rock or jiggle exactly as it should. Level could be achieved with a carpenters small level, pennies under the burner ring.

Even that issue resolved when I bought a canning element for that Amana stove. One source - repairclinic.com, canning elements for several makes stove.

I have a different kitchen that came equipped with a glass top electric now, another conversation completely (:
I'm canning outdoors over propane.

o

I use a coil electric stove for my canning. Buy a thermometer and experiment with the settings. My stove will keep a steady simmer at about 3/4 full setting. I use a high heat porcelain square under one side to keep the pot level and steady.

o

I only use electric coil and have no problems whatsoever :)

o

It is best if your stove has 6 coils, not 4. You can buy a special canning unit for most electric brands that has 6 coils and sits up a little higher so you don't scorch the surface. I just found this out while searching for a new stove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here