Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom360

Sauerkraut question

gardenmom
10 years ago

I've 3 heads of cabbage that are about to crack, and the rest are heading up nicely. They are all destined for sauerkraut. Can I shred and salt the first cabbages, then continue to add more cabbage and salt as they head up? I'd prefer not to have 4 or 5 separate small batches going at one time.
Ever done this?
Thanks.

Comments (6)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've read that you don't want more than 5# batch of kraut. I've never made it tho.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Although it's a pain, you'll have much better control of quality doing batches separately.

If you add fresh cabbage to brined, you'll have different fermentation rates in the same batch, not to mention the already-exuded liquid may throw the salt to liquid ratio off.

I'd rather a small inconvenience initially than risk less-than-stellar results. It's all about quality.

This is just my take on it. Others may have a different perspective.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've found that I can prep the produce, but it in bags and put in a refrigerator as soon as I get a gallon ziploc type bag. I would shred, bag and then again and again til I got the 5#.

3 heads of cabbage, unless huge, should weigh about 6-15 lbs, so you might have 2-3 crocks going for these.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

gardenmom - Have you made kraut before? I find that the size of a cabbage head can be very misleading when it comes to weighing it. It always looks like it will weigh much more than it really does especially after the heads are trimmed and cored.

We make several batches of kraut each summer for canning and 3 large heads, quartered for shredding, cores and coarse ribs removed, often comes out to about 5-6 lbs total - just right amount for most crocks.

We once tried adding additional shredded cabbage (before we knew it wasn't recommended) and Carol is right - very uneven fermentation and taste results. The older kraut in the crock absorbs the new salt brine much faster than the new shreds do so you get a mix of some 1/2 done and some far too salty.

Just some thing to consider.

Dave

• gardenmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll save the cabbage in the refrigerator for a week if need be.
    And yes, I've made sauerkraut before - almost every year. I make mine in 5 gallon buckets lined with 3 plastic bags. I pack the buckets about 2/3 full and weigh down with another plastic bag of water. I get a good air-tight seal and enough weight to keep it well compressed. Off hand I don't remember, but I probaby get 15lbs of shredded cabbage into each bucket.
    This year's treat is a new kraut cutter. I've been using just a sharp knife, a small kitchen mandolin, and a food processor in the past - all depending on how long my hands and wrists can take the presssure as I switch from one method to the next.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Be sure to let us know which cutter model you got and how you like working with it. I have a really old family inherited one I used to use but my wrists just won't take the pressure any more so I went back to the big sharp knife. Wife can still use the mandolin but our food processor just makes it too fine shredded for our taste.

Enjoy your kraut!

Dave