Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Sugar Peach Jam/Preserves

Posted by melodydf1953 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 16:04

I want to make low sugar peach jam/preserves for my Mom and Grandmother. I used a low sugar raspberry recipe for blackberries. It only called for 3/4 cup sugar. It was a little thin, but tastes good. Any ideas for peaches? Do you think I could use the same recipe: 3/4 cup sugar lemon zest, lemon juice, pectin (2 teaspoons) and calcium water (2 teaspoons) and I'm not sure what calcium water means.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Sugar Peach Jam/Preserves

There are all kinds of low-sugar and no-sugar pectins available on the market. Ball, Sure-Jell, and Certo all make them and they are easy to use with little or no sugar or even with artificial sweetner and they all come with instructions/recipes for use with peaches and other fruits right in the package. Our personal preference in the Ball No-Sugar brand.

Calcium water is used only with Pomona pectin but you don't mention it so what pectin are you using? If it is Pomaona then it comes with the ingredients and the instructions for making calcium water as that is needed for it to set.

NCHFP provides recipes and instruction for making low-sugar jams and preserves.

Of course as will all low-sugar jams the shelf life will be limited.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Jams & Jellies

o

I made no sugar peach with Pomonas pectin and Splenda. I was really not happy with it. Most of my sugar free jams/jellies are good, but the peach was so flat tasting.
I may try it again using some frozen apple juice concentrate to it for flavor. I add that to some of mine and find the flavor is better.

o

Peach and Pineapple go together well.
Perhaps if you want to be frisky add a 1/4 C Triple Sec for orange.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here