Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fermented pickle question

Posted by JBo.73 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:27

I'm fermenting some cucumbers for the first time using an approved recipe for fermented dill pickles. I have enough cucumbers for another batch and I was wondering if I could slice them instead of fermenting them whole? Is there any scientific reason for leaving them whole? I can't find an answer on an internet search and was wondering if the experts here know if it's possible without compromising the finished product. I ask because I'm limited in adequate containers but have some large glass jars that would be perfect for slices but maybe not as roomy for whole cucumbers. I plan to can them when they are done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fermented pickle question

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:37

If you have to cut them up some then spears work much better than slices. Slices go mushy pretty fast when fermenting. Quartering the cukes into spears is best.

Dave

edited to add that big chunks is another option

This post was edited by digdirt on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here