Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Olive Oil ???

Posted by westelle z9 Clovis CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 16:51

One of the things I attempted to make with my large supply of a neighbor's lemons was to brine cut-up lemons in salt for cooking. My DD told me I had to pour olive oil over the whole thing.... wrong advice. I now have salty/lemony olive oil and the lemons are ruined -- I think.

I seem to remember reading that additions to Olive Oli can quickly render it unusable..... salamonilla or botulism or somesuch. Am I correct? Or is it OK to use the oil, lemons and salt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Olive Oil ???

The oil seals off the air, allowing botulism to grow in there. Sorry.....
The only way to use is put in the fridge and use in a few days or freeze.

o

Heavens, I can't see that there's a risk with olive oil infused with brined lemons. You have salt and a high acid citrus. That is in no way in the same category as low acid foods like garlic or peppers.

If you can figure out a way to use the infused oil, I would.

Carol

o

I see it as having plenty of liquid in there to allow bacteria to grow.

o

My fermented lemons are lemons, salt, and dry spices like pink peppercorns and cinnamon.

Unlike cucumbers, fermented or brined lemons rest only in lemon juice and salt. I don't know of any recipe out there which uses water. It's 100% salt-laden acid.

Carol

o

At this point it is lemon juice, kosher salt and olive oil with a few buried, quartered lemons.

o

I have a pretty good (haven't made it in a while) summer veggie pizza that uses summer squash and lemon-infused olive oil. It will be interesting to see how your infusion turns out and whether the salt limits its usefulness.

Carol

o

It tastes like lemony oil with a slight back flavor of salt, but not much at all. It will be interesting to cook with it.

I was wondering if I could use the lemon-oil salt as a base to bake in ... something like shrimp or chicken. I seem to remember reading a recipe for shrimp baked in salt recently.

o

You can certainly give it a try. Some Greek recipes come to mind, a roasted potato dish with olive oil and lemon as well as lemon chicken with oregano. There should be lots of Mediterranean possibilities.

Oh, and I'll bet it would work fine for marinated and warmed mixed olives. Patricia Wells has a good recipe.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here