Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Selling processed organic veggies

sturgeonguy
10 years ago

So I have now done 2 Farmer's market events. Not much, I know, and I'm doing them in a place not known to have a market before, so we're not getting a lot of people.

Anyway, I am the only produce vendor there. I didn't have much the first weekend, but this weekend I had a reasonable amount.

I had this idea for the first weekend. All I had then was garlic scapes, so I made a pesto out of them to show people what they could use them for. Nobody bought scapes, but more than a few people asked for the pesto.

So this weekend I came with 2L of pesto (in 250mL jars), a Tzatziki made from my garden (except the yogurt), and a fresh salsa made out of my tomatoes (roma and heirloom beefsteak, but all small).

Processed stuff is selling well, but fresh veg is hardly moving. I had great jalepenos, zucchini, sweet peas, romaine, cayenne, cucumber...they barely sold. My tomatillo, and okra did well.

So here's my question. My scape pesto and Tzatziki both freeze well. But they aren't "preserved". If I keep them in a cooler with sufficient freezer packs to keep them frozen, how many weekends should I risk selling them? I can only sell on Saturday and Sunday. I used to live in Africa so my tolerance for "stale dated" stuff is probably much higher than most, but I don't want anyone to be unhappy (or worse, sick.)

I tell them they will be fine to take the bottle home and put it in the fridge. I tell them it will last a week. The bottles are small (although my next batch will be in 125mL bottles), so they should be able to use it up in a week.

It looks to me that I'm going to be having to process more veg than sell fresh at this market, so I'm looking for even more ways to preset this veg as a bottled product, but I want to keep it pristine and not use things to make it last. I've no problems with canning, but fact is, it tastes better fresh.

Please, suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Russ

Comments (6)

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FYI, I keep them in a cooler for like 6 hours on the day of sales, they're in the freezer the rest of the time. None are opened after they enter the jar (except my samples, which aren't carried from one week to the next...I eat the balance of the sample jar before the next sale day...;-])

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hi Russ - first I have to tell you that in most states we wouldn't be able to even sell foods such as you list to the public. There are far too many state and federal laws that would prohibit it. So that said, I'm not sure how much help we can be.

I assume that the Canadian laws pose no problems for you doing this? No regulations or permits or kitchen inspections required? If not, lucky you! In my state we even have to have liability insurance.

So here's my question. My scape pesto and Tzatziki both freeze well. But they aren't "preserved". If I keep them in a cooler with sufficient freezer packs to keep them frozen, how many weekends should I risk selling them?

NCHFP gives safe freezer shelf life for garlic scapes. pesto and such as "several months". But I would think that the in and out of the freezer treatment would shorten that substantially. You just can't keep things hard frozen in an ice chest for hours without some bit of thawing even using dry ice. So 2 weeks max would be my guess and that without knowing your exact recipe. Personally I would want this week's batch. :)

The Tzatziki I can't help with as it has so many ingredients that just don't freeze well - depending on your recipe.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

I would not sell to the public unless you have followed all of your guidelines there. Here you would have to prove you had used a commercial kitchen with the proper sanitization sinks, stored the ingredients correctly from garden to selling it. We would have to have a business license.

Then, personal liability insurance. In case someone wanted to say you made them ill with your food, you could go to court and lose everything you own.

Even giving out samples here could be a real liability issue.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

You might investigate establishing a CSA for your veggies.

A regular base of customers for your veggies would eliminate many of your problems - it would give you a certain financial security and it would reduce or eliminate the necessity of investing so much time and energy in what so far are unsuccessful farmers' markets.

Here you would have no problem selling those veggies. Farmers' markets and CSAs are very very popular. It can take a while to change a food culture.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

While this is the place to ask about processing food, you can post over on the Market Gardener forum for questions related to growing, selling, regulations, etc. We've got a couple members from Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Market Gardening

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

In Indiana, you would not be able to sell processed foods of any type (except jams/jellies) without the certified kitchen AND a certification for canning.

Sheila, I think he was asking about both growing and processing (but for retail).

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!