Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last year's Garlic

Posted by skeip 4b / 5a WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 17:03

I have about 5 pounds left and this year's is just about ready to dig. It's in pretty good shape, only a few sprouts, not soft or mushy. What is the best way to preserve it? Freezing, drying? Should I puree first or do you grind it once it's dry. I know there was some discussion a while ago about this, but you know the search engine here! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last year's Garlic

How bout chopping and freezing with olive oil? Then you can pop a little garlic OO out of the freezer and be set!
Nancy

o

I raise quite a bit of garlic, and found quite a few ways to preserve it.

One way that I've found to be very helpful - is to put some cloves in the blender along with some olive oil, mix well, then freeze in small-size freezer trays. They are then stored in the top part of my fridge/freezer, handy for use in cooking. I especially like them for sauteing and in making stir-fries, adding to spaghetti sauces, etc.

We also like garlic salt - which can be made easily, by grinding in the blender, along with some salt - to make a thick paste. This is spread out on a plate and dehydrated. It needs to be stirred from time-to-time in the blender, until dry enough to pass through a salt shaker.

It can also be dried in small chunks, wrapped in a baggie and frozen - for immediate use - no need to take time to peel, chop - etc. fresh garlic.

I find these to be real time savers in the kitchen.

You could also dry the garlic scapes, then use them to season soups, sauces, etc.

Bejay

o

I love roasted garlic, and came up with a way to make ahead and freeze. I toss peeled cloves with olive oil, roast at 350 until done, then freeze in ice cube trays, and pop 'em into ziplocs. Really handy to have on hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here