Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayskats

Half sours simplified

kayskats
15 years ago

I have taken the liberty of editing Ken's recipe (after all I did earn a respectable living editing for many years) and putting it in more a recipe format. -- Hope you're not offended Ken, but this was the only way I could make sense of the many, many posts.

I am putting a copy of this recipe in my clippings and anyone who wants it can find it there.

One other caveat (Please don't blow a stack, ken), but this is very similar to the recipe that USDA dropped about two decades ago. Recent NCHFP tests showed that Listeria can multiply in a pickle partially fermented at room temperature in a salt brine. NCHFP is supposed to be doing more testing, but at the present they do not recommend this process. Listeria is very common. It affect many people and they don't even know it. BUT the young, elderly and those with a compromised immune system should be aware before using this technique.

Okay here's

Ken's Half-Sour Pickles

Source: ksrogers, Harvest Forum

5 1/2 ounces by weight Kosher salt

per gallon of room-temp water

--

Cloves of garlic coarsely chopped

Fresh dill heads

Fresh dill sprigs

Peppercorns

--

Pickling cucumbers - the freshest you can get

Use only very fresh water from the cold water tap. Measure Kosher salt by weight and thoroughly dissolve in water.

Put as many of the seasonings as suits your taste in the bottom of sterilized jars -- quarts, half gallon, whatever.

Pick, rinse, clean and cut 1/8" off both ends of cukes and pack tightly in the jars to about 1 inch from top. All cukes should be wedged firmly to stay under brine.

Pour the room-temp salt water brine over cukes and spices to 1/2" from top. Top with a new flat and a Ball Plastic Jar cover.

Flip the filled and capped jars over a few times to loosen and release any trapped air bubbles.

Return to upright position and then give the jars a "quick twist" a couple of times a day.

Leave on the counter for two days to start it working. (You probably will not see bubbles.) After 48 hours, open a jar, check the liquid level and adjust if necessary. If you wish, taste one of the top cukes, it will probably taste slightly of dill and salt. Remember it is not yet half sour.

If cukes are not mushy, bland or bitter, you have the option of adding a bit of salt or more water.

Reseal and leave on counter one to three more days. Taste sample again and if you are happy with the taste, add a tablespoon of white vinegar to each half gallon jar to slow/stop fermentation. (Adjust measure for the size jar used) Recap and flip over several times to distribute vinegar.

Comments (3)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I hope so too. Its always a pleasure to see people assist, detail, organise, and fill in where I might have assumed a step, or didn't detail enough. I was amazed at how long it took to get all this info typed into single post. I probably could have used a message thread post where my name was the subject title, but figured it would 'cloud' the issue. The garlic is any amount you like! I have 12 inch diameter mammoth dill seed heads and cut off the main spray stems about 2 inches back from the smaller seed sprays. Garlic, for me is anywhere from a clove to a half a bulb or more. Depending on size. My Musik garlic has BIG fat single layer cloves this year. I had also seen a couple of missed garlic plants from last summers digging harvest. A couple of them were actaully totally round like a small white onion and no seperate cloves. It was nice to see a wierd thing like that, even though it was just 3, and they were big as a big marble size, I used them too. These pickles are so good even after a year, that I get the garlic pieces out and eat that once the cukes are gone. Mincing is too nice to garlic, laving whole cloves not effective enough for flavor. Pea sized pieces are good.

One jar of the re-brind, just slightly 'hissed' at me. Looks like its doing well enough now to get to the vinegar add stage.

Right now, two half gallon jars are headed for the fridge, but both had to be re-brined due to them being made by my failed atempt at many tasting sessions. Luckily, it was replaced just a day after being started. They get that vinegar tonight though, and then the fridge. I also had a third jar started, and noticed the first two had shrunk enough to squeeze almost 2 more cukes in each jar. That 3rd jar is about 3/4 full, but with a coupple of really BIG cukes that got missed the last day I picked. They will grow an inch bigger by tomorrow.

• kayskats
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ken, I debated about putting in amounts of the dill, etc ... but that (especially the garlic) is such a personal thing each person has to find their own way. kay

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Oh yeah.. Garlic, you either love it or hate it. Like many other 'supplimental' flavors its all in the personal preference. Only thing is, if most people like lots of garlic and don't taste its 'character' it can be disapointing to a few who have good intentions, but hieihtened awareness of its noticeble taste. I had tasted raw and its HOT HOT HOT. But cooked, roasted, or pickled, its not even a close relative anymore.