Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Canner

Posted by melfield 5b Wyoming (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 17:09

Hi there! I would love your input on whether or not it is "safe" to use a pressure canner on a ceramic stovetop.

I would love to begin pressure canning as it would give me a whole new worlds of foods to can, but have been told I cannot on a ceramic stovetop. DH and I have plans to replace stove w a gas one, but that won't be happening anytime in the near future.

Thanks for your input.

Mel
Cheyenne, WY (6500 ft)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Canner

There have been previous threads on this topic. Some members do can on a ceramic top stove, but basically it comes down to your particular range and its design.

Some companies cycle their burners on and off, which is unsuitable for pressure canning. Others maintain a steady heat.

There is also the issue of weight and what your range will support, as a loaded canner is very heavy.

The only way to be sure is to check your range manual and if that doesn't address the issue, contact the manufacturer's helpline.

Carol

o

Thank you Carol. I appreciate your help.

Mel

o

I am wondering if it might be possible for you to use a camp stove? Or a turkey fryer, if not too many btu's.

I am thinking this might be really good outside, if sheltered out of the wind and other weather. It would sure keep the kitchen and house a lot cooler.

o

Yes Gene many of us do our canning outside so this question has many discussions here about which burners work best.

Most camp stoves would take forever to get up to pressure and there is an issue with their burner size too on some. Many turkey fryers have way too many BTUs can can quickly warp the canner but there are some that will work.

But there are safe to use propane burners available with the right BTU ratings and sufficient burner control to work well.

Dave

o

No more than 15,000 BTU's for canning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here