Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianega

Where do you store your jars?

DianeGA
11 years ago

I'm a lurker & haven't gotten up the nerve to try canning yet, but I have a question. Where are you storing all these jars? It sounds like some of you have hundreds of jars & I'm at a loss to where I'd put these. And then have to also store the empties as they're used up, too.

Just wondering if you all have extra unused space in your basements or an unused bedroom or what. With several hundred jars, it sounds like you have a mini-grocery store at home & that would take some space.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Years ago we used to store the filled jars in their boxes under the beds and up on closet shelves as well as on shelves in the basement. When we remodeled the kitchen about 12 years ago we added several more large cabinets specifically for jar storage. And then we converted a closet off the kitchen area into a pantry with floor to ceiling shelves on 3 sides. Both were quickly filled.

So now the basement bath has 6' tall sets of shelves that are currently used to store all the pressure cookers, empty jars, sieves, tomato mill, stock pots, colanders, etc.

Some folks have posted pics here in the past of their basements and root cellars and shelf storage there too.

You can easily convert any unused closet you might have into lots of storage with some simple shelving.

Dave

• malna
    11 years ago

Anywhere that's cool and dark and is big enough to hold a box of jars.

We have an old house (from the 1920's) and there is a "little cellar" separate from the main basement. There is some makeshift shelving there (that really needs to be replaced but they always have something on them). DH just put some shelves up in the kitchen so a selection of things are a bit handier.

That's why I keep a list on the fridge so I remember what is where...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

A pantry with shelving for jars filled with products on the same level as my kitchen would be wonderful...but I don't have that. What I have is an unfinished cement half basement that stays approx 55 - 60 degrees give or take a few all year round. Empties and filled are there, canners, larger roasters and things that don't fit in my kitchen.... it's my main storage space for Costco things too, painting and home repair supplies, hanging raingear, boots to dry, you name it. My exercise bike, truly a boring place to pedal :) At one time the laundry washer/dryer, a major inconvenience and that's been moved upstairs but the ancient utility sinks are still there, plumbed and working. Also holds my freezer, hot water tank, electric back-up furnace to my heat pump - and more than one spider.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

morz8, your basement sounds like mine (except I have porch furniture, brand new sinks in boxes for finishing the bathrooms, and gardening supplies in there instead of the exercise bike - I gave away the stair stepper).

Tornado warning tonight so I brought in the wheelbarrow, empty pots, pulled some cages that were just out there to support shade cloth, etc. Put the trash and recycle bins plus potted tomato and pepper plants in the garage (my wooden boxes, table and EZ up for market were already in there). DH came home and declared "That's it! I'm building an 8x10 shed!" At least he hasn't griped about the jars since they're on shelves (most of them). But I don't know if I'm allowed to buy any more - and I've got coupons expired this weekend!

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Coupons? For jars? Where do you get such a thing?

Do tell please!

• missemerald
    11 years ago

Is it too late to answer this? I store ours in an unused closet-- a long, narrow one. It used to be used for towels and linens; DH added shelves and now it stores filled jars, canners, and so forth, everything but the boxes of empty quart jars that I keep in the garage. It is very cool and dark in there but also very convenient to the kitchen. Prior to this, the jars were scattered on shelves and boxes throughout the house; very inconvenient.

• pqtex
    11 years ago

One of the advantages of living in a hundred year old farmhouse is having a large pantry with floor-to-ceiling cabinets adjacent to the kitchen. I don't have to store any boxes or jars under beds, in closets or elsewhere. It is definitely nice--and convenient. I had very little storage of any kind in my previous home. I have possibly 300+ jars. I received a large number from freecycle (180 I think) plus I have bought a lot.

My kitchen is also nice-sized with good counter space and cabinets. I found a very inexpensive metal cabinet(counter height with formica top, two door cabinet and two drawers) at Habitat Re-Store for $20 that I use for a center island. That cabinet stores all of my canning supplies--strainers, canners, lids, pots, etc. When I need to can up a batch of something, everything is handy and ready to use.

Jill

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Ball had coupons in the Sunday paper a couple of weeks (?) ago, $3 off 2 cases. Expiration 7/29/12. They run them quite often through the summer. You can also sign up for their newsletter at their website, though I don't recall them ever mailing or emailing me any.

Made pickles last night and discovered I only had a few lids left, plus a dozen (unopened box) rings and lids I bought at Goodwill! Mostly I have WM lids - so time to hit the store to get more RM lids even if I don't buy jars (which I probably will). Too bad no coupon for lids. W@lm@rt is the best place I've found around here for jars and lids, even though their prices keep going up. May be time to hit TSC and see if they've put their stuff on sale yet - seems to me they sold out/pulled stuff from shelves well before Labor Day last year.

My grandma used to have a big walkin pantry with a window on 1 side and cabinets/counter/shelves on 2. And the farmhouse used to have an even bigger one (again with a window) with just shelves. Sadly, both houses have been renovated. And I wasn't into canning when we built our new house so have to keep my stuff in basement. Though I always did like to stock up, and asked builder for walk-in pantry with shallow shelves on 3 sides. He said the pantry was too narrow, couldn't do it. But my linen closet in master bath is the same width and they made that deep (stand-in), crazy with 16" shelves, I've got over a foot of wasted space in front of them. But don't want to store jars up there - too humid ;-)

• txtom50
    11 years ago

Industrial wire shelving might be a way to go. Comes in all different sizes and strengths. You can check it out at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire Shelving