Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem today with canning dill pickles

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 17:20

What is the cause of jars breaking? I did get some jars from my MIL and they may have been old. I was very careful not to hit them on anything in the process. Can you "pack" too many in the jars? What is the importance of the head space? Does that affect it being too full and cause jar breakage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem today with canning dill pickles

The most common cause of jar breakage is thermal shock. Colder jars going into too hot water or boiling hot jars going into too cold water.

Can you overpack the jars? Sure but it doesn't usually cause breakage. Rather it forces the liquid out of the jar and you get a poor seal.

Headspace is important for proper processing and shelf storage safety but again it doesn't normally contribute to breakage.

Many of us routinely use very old jars but assuming there was no cracks or chips to begin with in them they normally tolerate processing with no problem.

That brings you back to thermal shock.

Dave

o

ok, thanks.

o

If jars had previously been knocked together, even though they look good right now, they will have a weakness at the place they had been hit. If the person who used them previous to you or during transport allowed them to be knocked together frequently you might have jars that are more susceptible to thermal shock.

In the lab, we could send out the expensive glassware, that had accidentally been knocked around, to be annealed but for canning jars, you might just want to stick to newer ones if you continue to have troubles. Or try to be super careful about the thermal stress.

Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here