Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
food_lover

Can I can these pickles with a BWB?

food_lover
10 years ago

I would like to can these pickles with a BWB. Are there any changes I would need to make to the recipe for safety? What would be the correct processing time (10 minutes)? Also, is the pasteurization bath a possibility with this recipe (or are there changes I could make to be able to use the pasteurization bath)?
Thanks for your help with this.
Best,
Jay

Cucumber Pickles
For each (1) pint:

Ingredients:
3/8 pound small pickling cucumbers (like Kirby), trimmed at both ends and quartered lengthwise
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dill seed
1/2 cup vinegar
1 clove garlic, sliced in half
1 teaspoon pickling spice
1 slice of hot pepper or half of a cayenne pepper

Directions:

For each pint, measure and add the following ingredients: the garlic, dill, salt, pepper slice, and pickling spice.
Then put the cucumber quarters into the jars, making sure that they do not extend above the ridge.
In a pitcher, mix together the water and vinegar maintaining a one-to-one ratio.
Pour the water-vinegar mixture into each pint until it reaches the top of the cucumbers.
Cap the jars with new two-piece lids.

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Well it meets the bare minimum for canning an unapproved recipe given the 1:1 ratio of water to vinegar but the brine has to be heated to boiling first and hot when it goes into the jars. Then you can process pints for 10 min. in BWB. if you don't boil the brine first then canning them wouldn't be considered safe and the processing time required would turn the cukes to mush.

But the recipe is for only 1 jar so is it really worth processing? Just put them in the fridge.

Dave

• food_lover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. I will make those changes. I have used the recipe for refrigerator pickles before. I scaled it down to a single jar because then I can use it no matter how many cucumbers I have on a particular day. I usually make many jars, but not necessarily the same number as the last time. The end up taking up a whole shelf in the fridge so I would like to can them so I can put them in the cabinet. Right now, I have about 5 lbs of cucumbers to pickle.

Do you think there would be any concern about canning the same recipe but using zucchini instead of cucumbers. I usually make those as refrigerator pickles too and people like them even better than the cucumber pickles.

Thanks again for your help!
    Best,
    Jay

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Do you think there would be any concern about canning the same recipe but using zucchini instead of cucumbers.

Please understand that this is already a do-at-your-own-risk canning recipe since it has never been lab tested. It is walking a real fine line when it comes to safety as is so by modifying it even more by switching to zukes you narrow that margin of safety even more. Zucchini are more low-acid than cucumbers.

If you were using an approved and tested recipe with more vinegar then it wouldn't be an issue but as these sit on the shelf the water is drawn out of the cukes diluting the vinegar even more and raising the pH of the contents over time. As that pH rises, bacteria can begin to grow.

So it's your choice. Personally I would change the ratio of vinegar to water to 2:1.

Dave

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living