Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Butter???

Posted by soonergrandmom Z6 Grove (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:41

Is there a recipe for plum butter or is it just plum pulp with sugar to taste, cooked and processed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Butter???

Basically yes, apple butter but with plums. But the peels can be quite bitter depending on variety so watch out for that problem if you aren't going to peel.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. These are delicious eaten fresh and I don't taste any bitterness at all in the fresh stage. I don't know what kind they are, but the outside is greenish, but the inside is a lovely red. I saw SuzyQ's plum sauce and thought I would do some of that and some jam, but it just looks like it would make a beautiful butter. I've made lots of apple butter, but never plum butter. Thanks again. Carol

o

The old Farm Journal cookbook had a recipe for plum butter. Basically you're making apple butter but may want to vary the spices a bit or add a touch of orange, which is great with plums.

Last time I used stick cinnamon, whole cloves and a touch of fresh nutmeg.

Carol

o

Thanks Carol, that sounds good too. I didn't add spice to the butter, but also made a batch of jam and added almond to it. Actually it taste a little like it is made with sour cherries. I think vanilla would be good too.

I probably didn't add enough sugar to the butter to please most people, but DH and I both like it tart. I guess I'll feed the jelly to company and keep the butter for us. LOL

o

plum butter made with ripe green gage plums is absolutely wonderful.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 17:44

We made some in the crock pot a few years ago with no sugar added and it became a very dark color. We used a hand blender to mix and decided it was an excellent base for quick sauces to go with meats. We labeled the jars Plum for Sauces. Depending on spices added we can make it Asian with garlic & ginger, BBQ with liquid smoke plus onions, garlic, celery, nutmeg & vinegar OR Italian with lots of oregano, basil, rosemary & thyme.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here