Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

Fruit Vinegars & Red Onion Marmalade

KSprairie
9 years ago

Has anyone made Red Onion Marmalade from BBB Guide to Preserving? If so, how did you like it and with what do you serve it?
Also wondering about making fruit vinegars. There are several recipes in BBB. My only experience with flavored vinegars is in salad dressing. How do you use your fruit vinegars?
Thanks!

Comments (8)

• malna
    9 years ago

I haven't made the Red Onion Marmalade myself, but I got a jar from a friend. I'm pretty sure that was the recipe she used. It was delicious on a grilled cheese sandwich, on a French Dip (roast beef) sandwich, and went well with a cheese plate. By that time, it was all gone.

I like fruit vinegars in salad dressing for vegetables as you mentioned, but also drizzled over fresh fruit, ice cream, in glazes and marinades for meat depending on the flavor (blueberry with chicken is really good). I've used red currant vinegar in Cumberland sauce to tone down the sweetness of red currant jelly, and still get a nice hit of currant flavor.

I've used it on roasted vegetables, too. Yummy stuff.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Also never made the Red Onion marm but would think, like many of the chutneys, it would be great on most any kind of meat or sandwiches, even hamburgers or hot dogs. That how we use most of the Red Onion, Pepper, and Apple chutney we make.

The fruit vinegar makes great meat marinades and as a drizzle topping on most any grilled fish, especially salmon steaks.

Dave

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Fruit or herb vinegars can also be used in other salads--bean, cold corn, potato, or I do have a recipe for a quinoa salad with fruit that uses a strawberry or raspberry vinegar vinaigrette.

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I am definitely sold on making some fruit vinegars as well as the Red Onion Marmalade now that I have read your posts. It all sounds so good!

The Marmalade recipe calls for 1/4 cup dried cranberries. Do you think that Is Craisin-type cranberries or cranberries dried with no sugar added? I've only come across no-sugar added dried cranberries one time. They are not very common around here anyway.

• malna
    9 years ago

Any brand of dried cranberries will work (with sugar or without).

• cannond
    9 years ago

I have a bag of frozen cranberries I'd like to use. Any comments about whether these would work in the onion marmalade.

Deborah

• malna
    9 years ago

I don't see why not. I'd be tempted to cook the fresh/frozen cranberries in a small amount of the apple juice until they pop, chop them and see how much liquid they will produce. Adjust the total liquid to include the cranberry juice. Then measure the volume of cranberry pieces (in my notes, I have a scribbled "3/4 cup dried cranberries is supposed to be equal to a cup of fresh"- no idea where THAT came from but it is in my handwriting...) The Ball recipe calls for 1/2 cup dried cranberries, so maybe shoot for a scant 3/4 cup chopped pieces?

If it gets too thick, you could always add a splash or two of extra juice. You might need to adjust the sugar to taste - dried cranberries have sugar added.

Does that make any sense at all? :-)

• cannond
    9 years ago

Yes, Malna, this does make sense and I do appreciate your thoughtful answer. I'll do it the way you suggest.

Deborah