Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibstitchin

Ideas for straining/juicing chokecherries?

ibstitchin
16 years ago

A friend gave me a Pronto Food Strainer and thought it would work but I'm not having much luck. The goal is chokecherry jam and syrup but the darn cherries are so small I never feel like I get enough meat off of them. I tried using the shorter grape spiral but they were getting jammed up and not going anywhere. So, what's your secret to processing chokecherries?

Lora

Comments (14)

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Linda and I did know the warning about the pits. I don't have a steam juicer yet but hope to get one. I was really wanting jam so I would need the pulp. I guess I'll head to town and see if I can find a good sieve/strainer. I'm sure I had an old apple saucer (name escapes me) but it must not have made the move.

Thanks again,
    Lora

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

You might have the best success with a jelly bag. Partially crush and cook the cherries, then place in a fine mesh cloth bag used for making jelly. Unless you have some other kind of juice extractor. The one with the grape spiral just hasn't got enough clearance for the large pits, which a quite large compared to a grape seed.

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually chokecherry pits are pretty small and when I checked the grape spiral they fit easily. But they got jammed up in the spiral. Too much pit compared to meat I suppose.

I didn't find what I wanted in town but I did find a food mill that may have worked. I wasn't sure and didn't have my coupon (Bed Bath Beyond) but I might go back and get it.

I've resigned myself to cloudy jelly instead of jam this time around. Maybe I just need a metal colander with medium sized holes and press through what I can.

Thanks!
    Lora

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Lora,
    Check Goodwill and you may find a steam juicer. So far I have found several nice ones. They have been $15 each. Much cheaper than new as they start around $75.
    You can buy a new stainless one at BiMart for $99.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Lora,

Another option is to throw the fruit in the freezer until you get the steam juicer.

Jim

• smokey98042
    16 years ago

ibstitchin,
    Check out this item on ebay 230148145540 It is from someone in the northwest, so shipping time should be short.

• ibstitchin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your ideas. I just used a strainer and ended up with jelly (I hope, if it sets, if not SYRUP!). I was really hoping for jam though and wanted more of the pulp. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a steam juicer as it could come in very handy when the grapes are ready.

Lora

• Mylie Cottingham
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I used a potato ricer and got most of the pulp out, but in the end I bent the potato ricer by squeezing to hard. I think a heavier duty potato ricer would work.

• HU-522509502
    3 years ago

Please, please tell me why the Native Americans crushed the chokecherries, pits and all and made it into pemmican, and jerky-type strips to survive their winter - and now all I see is that the pits are toxic? They were a wise people so I really don't understand!

• matthias_lang
    3 years ago

HU-522509502, I think you might be mixing up chokeCHerry which is a Prunus with chokeBerry which is an Aronia. So, maybe just a common name mix-up. I don't think the seeds of chokeBerry are poisonous, and it is a native plant so could have been used in pemmican. "Viking" is the name of the cultivar I have brought to my garden. The rabbits like it.

• HU-245523135
    9 months ago

What does sieve mean when your doing chokecherries and can you put them threw a cone

• CA Kate z9
    9 months ago

I think a cone is a type of sieve. I'm not familiar with straining this plant so I don't know how tiny the seeds are; the cone's holes may be too large. Sorry I can't help more.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 months ago

Any kind of berry can be strained through cloth. A cone, or as I would call it a chinoise, doesn't really work. The juice doesn't flow well due to the shape. Fruit collects at the bottom and clogs the holes. Whatever the fruit is, heat it up to get the juice running then pile it into a jelly bag, if you have one, a muslin or a piece of an old pillow case. Hang it over a bowl over night and the juice will collect without any effort from you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting