Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother of Vinegar

Posted by vkay Va7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 17:51

Just found mother of vinegar in my cider vinegar. Any suggestion on how to use this?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother of Vinegar

Could you clarify your question please? Using the vinegar or using the mother?

I assume you saw this discussion about this question a bit further down the page? It addresses using the vinegar itself.

As to uses for the mother itself, I'm not aware of any role for it in food preservation. It is normally filtered out of the vinegar prior to use.

However there are several articles about its uses for health benefits. I linked one of them below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: What are the health benefits of MOV?

o

Dave,

Yes, I did see the post for use of the vinegar, but was hoping there was a use for the mother? Perhaps making more vinegar?

o

vkay -
The only use I know is that the mother - the sludge at the bottom of the bottle -can be added to another cider vinegar to enhance that vinegar.

The Bragg Company has an 800 number listed at the end of their site.
Maybe they can help you with your question.

-gloria

o

Get a big jar - I use a "sun tea" jar. Dump the mother in with some red wine. Wait a few weeks. Help yourself to red wine vinegar. Top it off with the tail ends of future bottles of wine.

I pasteurize the vinegar I keep in the kitchen by heating it to 160 degrees F to kill off "mom".

o

jxbrown,

Thanks so much for the info. Do you leave the jar outside in the sun? Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I have never done this before and would like to do it right. BTW I got the mother from a Whitehouse Apple Cider vinegar, does it matter where it comes from?

o

Also forgot to ask, does it matter what type of wine you use? Meaning all red wine is the same or should it be all the same type of red, cabernet sauvignon? Have lots of that, but sometime will drink merlot, pinot noir, etc?

o

No, you want to keep your jar sheltered. I use a sun tea jar just because if the size. The bacteria needs oxygen so the sun tea jar gives the "mother" plenty of surface area. I keep it in the garage because it smells like vinegar. You can use white wine, but that has more naturally occurring and added sulfites which kill the mother and slow the conversion. I just use reds and ros�s because that's what I drink.

o

jxbrown,

Thanks so much for the info. Will try this soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here