Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Looking for Cherry Recipes for a BWB

cziga
11 years ago

Hey everyone!! I'm looking for some cherry recipes to try out this year. I have a whole bunch of cherries and not enough ideas :) I'd love to hear your favorites.

I'll be doing a traditional cherry jam. Also thinking of trying a nice Cherry-Peach or Cherry-Apple Jam (apparently needs less pectin/sugar). Found a recipe for Cherry - Vanilla Jam which sounds good.

Other than jams, I saw a bottle of Cherry Honey Mustard online and wanted to try it. Does anyone have a recipe for Cherry Honey Mustard that can be canned in a boiling water bath?? I'd really appreciate it.

Or a recipe for a BBQ sauce that uses cherries and can be BWB canned?

Or any of your favorites that you'd like to share ... I'm looking for ideas and some fun cherry recipes to try that can be canned in a BWB - thank you so much :)

Comments (11)

• malna
    11 years ago

There are some different ideas from the 2010 Can Jam for Berries (even those these are from a blog, she's pretty careful about safe canning procedures). Scroll down for the cherry section.

Below is an old link from here about mustards. I seem to remember there might be a cherry one in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Mustards

• gardenmom
    11 years ago

Besides the jam, I like to BWB some pitted cherries. I used to do a light syrup and raw pack, but this year I tried a hot pack. I had half a jar leftover are filling, and what a difference. The juice is sweet and flavorful. A great treat over ice cream. You can add a bit of brandy to each jar before canning for brandied cherries. Takes about 3-4 months to 'age.'

Another family favorite is to simply freeze the cherries, pits and all. I freeze them on cookie sheets, then transfer to ziplock bags. They make a delicious winter time dessert/snack. Just reach in for a handful.

And one of my favorites is to put pitted cherries in a large jar. Cover with 5-6c sugar. Pour a bottle of vodka over it. Let sit in a cool, dark spot. Do not stir or shake. By November, all the sugar will be dissolved. By Christmas, you should have an OK sipping drink. But wait a full year, and you have a very good aperitif. And cherries for desserts.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

How about bake and freeze recipes? Do those interest you? Things like cherry pies, turnovers, tarts, muffins, cakes, cookies, etc. All of those things can be made at any time if you just can and BWB the cherries plain for now.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning cherries

• cziga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the replies so far ... I appreciate the ideas.

Dave - I'm mostly looking for something that I can preserve so it won't take up space in the freezer or fridge. I have lots in there already and not much space :)

I'm more interested in cooking than baking ...

Gardenmom - that idea for a sipping drink sounds pretty cool. Thank you!! I might try that one.

Malna - Thanks for those old links, I did a search but didn't come up with those ones ... the mustard one is great. Loads of great ideas!! Only 1 cherry one and it uses eggs which is rare, hmmm - certainly can't be canned at any rate. But there is a peach (also a peach BBQ) and a cranberry, and I wonder if I could just substitute cherries for peaches/cranberries and make it work (if used in equal amounts to the original recipe)...

And the blog looks great - I've only read the cherry section so far but will definitely be keeping the link for later berries too! Those are great, thanks :)

Anyone know of a Cherry type BBQ sauce that can be canned using a BWB?

It sounds as though mustards don't need to be canned to last ... and that the heat actually spoils the taste ... Does anyone know if this is this correct? If I make a muatard which is vinegar based (not oil or egg based), will it keep in the fridge for a long time? If I wanted to store it in the pantry, would I have to BWB it even if it is in vinegar?

• malna
    11 years ago

Maybe start with the Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce recipe from Ball and substitute cherries for peaches?

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Barbecue Sauce Recipe

• JessicaInOhio
    11 years ago

I canned cherries in wine sauce that would be good over turkey or with cheese. I'm not sure where I got the recipe. I can hunt if you're interested.

• cannond
    11 years ago

I don't know if you're using sweet or sour cherries, but here is an unusual cherry pickle recipe from Helen Witty's Fancy Pantry. And guess what? No heat processing. It keeps well in the dark pantry for roughly a year without any loss of texture or flavor. It is tart with the lovely foil of the sweet cherries.

I've made it for years to serve with charcuterie. I'm also told that it is a grand replacement for olives in a martini, though I haven't tried it.

Tart Pickled Cherries in the French Style

1 pound ripe but firm sweet cherries. (Sour cherries may be substituted)

5 or 6 sprigs tarragon

2 cups high-quality white wine vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons fine non-iodized salt. (canning salt works well)

Rinse cherries discarding any with soft spots or blemishes. Drain. Clip the stems to 1/2 inch. Dry the cherries thoroughly in a towel.

Rinse tarragon sprigs and pat dry. Drop them into a dry sterilized quart jar. Add the cherries which should not quite fill the jar.

Stir together in a saucepan the vinegar, sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat to simmering, stirring till the sugar and salt have dissolved. Cool the liquid completely.

Pour the cooled liquid over the cherries, being sure to cover them completely. Remove air bubbles and add more liquid if necessary. Leave about 1/2 inch headspace. Seal the jar with sterilized new two-piece canning lid and store for at least a month before serving them.

In a pinch I have used cider vinegar of good quality. I also use the clamp type jars as they make a better presentation.

• klflorida
    11 years ago

I just did cherries! I put up cherry walnut conserve and brandied cherries - from Fancy Pantry; cherry apple jam from Good Housekeeping Complete; and Blueberry Cherry Jam - from the internet. Let me know if you are interested in a recipe.
    Kathy

• cziga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

JessicaInOhio - cherries in wine sauce sounds delicious :) They sound great for turkey (as a change from cranberries) or maybe over a pork roast. I'd love the recipe if you have it handy ...

The pickled cherries sound cool too, I'm pretty sure I've never eaten a pickled cherry before so I have no idea what that would taste like. Sounds worth a try though, thank you so much for the recipe for that one!!

Kathy - yep this is the end of the cherry time of year. I have a couple more batches frozen that I want to do something with and so still looking for a couple more ideas. I was reading about a cherry - apple jam, a good choice I guess because apples are a great compliment to a low pectin fruit like cherries. I guess you'd be able to skip the pectin (but not me, because I want to go the low-sugar route). I didn't like the recipe I saw online though, if you found a good one, I'd appreciate it :) Blueberry-Cherry jam sounds really good too, but I'm a blueberry purist, lol. My grandmother used to make the best homemade blueberry jam when we were all young, so I make the pure blueberry and don't usually mix it. We don't do nuts in the house either, but the brandied cherries sound like a nice little recipe to try?

• uaskigyrl
    11 years ago

I make amaretto-brandied cherries that I use in cocktails & will eat. They are so much better than the maraschino cherries that you buy at the store. If I could find Maraschino Liquer, I would make maraschino cherries, oh well. I always have some of the cherry syrup left over that I can as well for drinks & sodas. There's a recipe in one of my books for red wine cherries that I want to try when I get my hands on some more...

• cannond
    11 years ago

Cziga: I forgot to mention. Once you've used up the cherries, don't throw the liquid away! It is pure gold to use for salad dressings. Just add a little oil, maybe some good mustard.