Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange garden/harvest year!

Posted by dgkritch Z8 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 17:58

Anyone else harvesting odd combinations of produce??

When do you EVER harvest snow peas and blueberries at the same time?

Odd Produce Combo

We've had such a cool spring/summer here in the PNW that I am still picking a few snow peas and my blueberries are starting to ripen. Add in small cucumbers and giant "leaves" from my Walla Walla onions and it's downright WEIRD!!!

You?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange garden/harvest year!

Well, our summer hasn't been cool here, but I got a late start in planting because of all the rain we had in the spring. Now I'm just getting tomatoes & beans and still have lettuce & broccoli coming in.

Strange year indeed!

o

Ours has been horrid. Between the late start from the rain and the hot hot temps we are having a sad sad garden year. Luckily we have the Amish here who have some nice stuff for CHEAP!

Lisa

o

Cool summer here and LOTS of rain this winter - produced oodles of green beans, apricots, plums, limes - but alas, toms and cukes a bust - oh well, what else is new.

Bejay

o

It's been a bad year here in SE Michigan overall. The extremely wet, cold spring turned overnight into a hot, dry summer. Virtually no rain from mid June, less than an inch total, until 3 days ago, when we had about 5 1/2 inches in 2 nights of training MCS's. And one of our hottest summers in many years, with high humidity despite the dry ground.

o

Not a vegetable related issue - but I have a columbine in bloom right now. None of my columbines bloomed this spring. But now here it is, almost August, and a columbine blooms. Weird.

o

The jacaranda trees are in bloom here (normally an early spring event). I am serving radicchio with the cucumbers and tomatoes that start to trickle in. Still have lots of kale, beets, onions, and carrots. With the fruit, I still have oranges, and blueberries, strawberries with peaches! very weird. I have lots of common beans, but still runner beans too! I never got runner beans in late July before.

It gets us cooking combinations of vegetables we don't get fresh together often, so it is a fun change of pace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here