Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ellie topps chunky basil pasta -- quick help needed tia

Posted by momagain1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 18:04

From Ellie Topp's Small Batch Preserving.
CHUNKY BASIL PASTA SAUCE
8 cups coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes -- (about 9-12 tomatoes or 4 lb)
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon pickling salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 6-oz can tomato paste

Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt, sugar and tomato paste in a very large non-reactive pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.
Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim Process 35 minutes for pint jars and 40 minutes for quart jars in a BWB. Makes 8 cups.

***I DONT HAVE RED WINE, have some red wine vinegar...so does this mean I should not make this recipe? ***
I know in regular recipes you can use water in place of wines etc..but I know that we cant just do that when canning...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ellie topps chunky basil pasta -- quick help needed tia

I am NOT an expert here, but do you have any other kind of wine? I am thinking red wine is about the same difference as white wine, but red is more for the taste???
Do you have a neighbor or friend who can give you a bit of wine?

I am very curious, please let us know what happens.

o

no, we are NOT wine drinkers AT ALL....

and I have chickens for a neighbor on one side, a cornfield on the otherside...a cornfield behind me and a li'l ole lady next to me lol...

o

You could use additional red wine vinegar in lieu of the wine, as it's more acid than the red wine would be, but I'm thinking you probably won't be very happy with the results as it's going to make the sauce super-sharp.

Carol

o

SWEET! Hubby just found our Red Cooking Wine...

I can use that right???

(coming from someone who NEVER uses wine lol...)

o

Ugh. (Sorry, my prejudice.)

You can, but cooking wines are inferior wines that have other additives (to obscure how awful they are) and additional salt. Lots of salt.

You might, for future reference, have a wine-drinking friend purchase or recommend a nice Merlot or Pinot Noir. There are lots of perfectly decent ones that won't cost any more than the fortified "cooking" wines.

You can keep it just for cooking. Leftover wine can be frozen in ice cube trays and added to stews or saved for the next canning project. Freezing is perfectly fine for wine that's going to be used but not drunk from the glass.

Carol

o

Hubby went and found me a cheap red wine...so we did not use the cooking wine :-)

o

Several vintners put their wines in "airline" size bottles, single serving, you know what I mean? My mother who does not drink red wine will keep a few of these in her cupboard for when a recipe calls for red wine. No spoilage of unused wine, and they last forever.

Steve

o

ok, general statement from kids is they LOVE it enough to make more! !!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here