Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Canner Help

Posted by aneangel22 Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 18:15

I've been looking for a pressure canner at yard sales and flea markets this summer. I finally found one at a peddlers mall and everything was in good shape it was just missing the counterweight. I got on my phone and checked to make sure I could find one before I bought it and I guess I didn't look closely enough at what came up. I bought it and went home to purchase the counterweight. When I brought it up again and went to put it in my cart I realized it said Presto next to it and the canner I searched is a Magic Seal. I've looked all over the internet and can't even find a picture of what it should look like. I even tried to find a website for Magic Seal to write them and see if they still sell the parts or if a counterweight from a different brand and specific model number would work. I can't find them either. Does anyone on here have any suggestions? I even searched ebay and can only find the entire canner.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Canner Help

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 19:22

Magic Seal was a brand pressure cooker sold by Montgomery Wards many decades ago. They were manufactured by Mirro and Presto (depending on the model number).

They are considered "vintage" pressure cookers and not really recommended for modern canning. Most of the models were pressure cookers, not canners, and too small for canning.

So you need to determine what model you have, the model number. should be somewhere on the canner. Once you have the model number you can find some parts for them at pressure cooker outlet. Linked below.

I would strongly encourage you to take it to your local couty extension office and have tested, especially the gauge as they require annual testing anyway. Plan to replace the over-pressure plug, the gasket, and the petcock if it is a petcock model.

Then depending on the size and model number we should be find out which weight set you need.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure Cooker Outlet

o

Looks like this site has magic seal parts.

Here is a link that might be useful: magic seal

o

Thanks you so much! I kept putting in the model number and was confused as to why it kept bringing up Presto counterweights. I also had no idea it needed to be tested. I don't think my grandma has ever had hers tested in her life and I'm learning everything from her, haha.

Thanks for your help!

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 21:56

If the model number is Presto parts then buy the 3 piece Presto weight set rather than the counter-weight. That way you can can using weights rather than the gauge. This assuming is actually is one of the canner models and not just a pressure cooker? Big difference.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here