Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

How do you keep cool... enough to can?

berrybusy
11 years ago

After nearly a week of record-breaking high temperatures (100's)and record-breaking high "low temperatures", I couldn't take any more. However, I still have raspberries and black raspberries I'd love to get to, and cherries, blueberies, and peaches are starting to come in, but with no a/c and the house nearing 90F after all this heat, it made me wonder...

How do you handle canning chores in the hot, hot weather?

Comments (9)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I would just freeze all the berries and make jam/jelly later or use for cobblers, yogurt, etc. in the future. I do this whether it's scorchingly hot or not.
    Peaches could be frozen, but I usually can them. Big box fan. I don't have air cond. Also, I try to prep at night whenever possible (peaches don't really work too well for this, but could be peeled and slice and covered with water with ascorbic acid added). Can EARLY in the morning when the temps are cooler.

Other than that.........it just sucks and I slog through it!
    Good luck!

Deanna

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I have central AC. So it's always 74 in my kitchen.

• backyardbum
    11 years ago

Fans lots of fans. Put one or two in front of windows to pull in the air as it cools off in the evening.

It gets a little messy but old fashioned air condidioning was to wet (soaking,drippy wet)a towel and hang it over the screen. Place a fan in front of it to pull the air through it. Works! Helps in the bedroom for getting to sleep.

I know a couple of people who use the propane burners that come with the turkey fryer outside to do their canning on.(Please be careful)I also prep in the evening and turn the canners on in the early morning hours. It heats the house for the rest of the day!

I finally had enough.I just got back from wal mart with a couple of tarps to block off the back of the house. I'm going to use the window a/c. It won't make it cold but I will be able to stand it.

Good luck. Drink lots of water. I like to put a little fruit in the water to give it a hint of flavor. Don't get quite as tired of it as quick that way. 3 slices of orange,or 3 slices of lemon. 4 or 5 slices of peach. per gallon of water Watermelon, strawberries. you get the idea! (be careful that your potassium levels don't get too low)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Same here - FAN, lots of fans. Wife and I do most our canning outside on the shaded deck so this years it is fans and a couple of those misting systems.

Dave

• proudmary56
    11 years ago

Do most of the work in the morning and lots of fans. Don't remember the temps being this hot during canning season. Hope it cools down and soon.

• grlsixx
    11 years ago

We live in very hot Northern California. I always do my canning in the evening, once it cools down to 80 or so (and the kiddos are in bed). Just open all the windows & turn on the fans. The house has time to cool off overnight. The heat is just part of the sport, as far as I am concerned.

• PNWGirl
    11 years ago

I have a burner, on the side of my BBQ. That is where I was planning on doing my canning so I could keep my house cool. Is it safe to do it there (newbie question)?
    Sheila :)

• momagain1
    11 years ago

Sheila, I do that ALL of the time!!!

Just make sure the wind isnt blowing!

• PNWGirl
    11 years ago

ahh, thank you for the reminder about that. My BBQ is on a covered deck and- generally- wind free but I will need to keep a close eye on the flame to keep it steady.

I am learning so much from you guys and really glad that you share your knowledge with the rest of us!

Sheila :)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor