Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peeling pears for mincemeat

Posted by jill2761 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 18:22

I have noticed that some approved pear mincemeat recipes call for pears to be peeled and some do not. Last year's pear mincemeat was delicious. I'm pretty sure it was the version from Ball's blue book, in which the pears are not peeled. However, when I made it this year, the peels are noticeable and tough.

Do you peel your pears for mincemeat?

The other thing I'm disappointed in is that apparently I allowed my pears to get overripe and they are very gritty. I know not to allow the pears to ripen on the tree, and thought I'd picked them at the right time to finish ripening in the house, but they are much grittier than usual. I was going to make more pie filling and mincemeat, but I'm not going to spend the effort and expense of other ingredients if the pears aren't prime.

I can't even use them for pear sauce due to the grit. I think the only thing they are good for now is making more juice.

Lesson learned for next year, but I still want to know about whether I should peel them even if the recipe doesn't indicate I should.

Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peeling pears for mincemeat

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 10:10

I usually taste a bit of the fruit - with the peel - before I can them.

I got some pears last year from a local organic farmer that had a tender, flavorful peel, so I didn't bother peeling them. The next time I bought them, the peel was tougher, so naturally I peeled that batch.

9 times out of 10 I do peel stone fruits like apples, peaches and pears, especially if I don't know if they were sprayed with chemicals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here