Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

Your Greatest Hit Recipes for Leesa

zabby17
18 years ago

OK, Leesa is new here and she is sad that she'd missed out on so many great-sounding recipes because the search engine on GW is not exactly up to par. So I thought I'd share my best ones (there are only a few, I haven't been at this long) that people have often asked for, in a new thread for her, and maybe anyone else, if you have a minute, you could post one or two, even if you already posted it this season, for Leesa and anyone else new?

Here is one for summer fruit jam (peach, apricot, yellow plum --- we're just coming up to these being ripe around here!), and one for a cranberry-apple relish I like for the holidays.

Cheers!

Zabby

Summer Fruit Jam

[from Foodland Ontario]

Yield: 8 cups

3 c Peaches, peeled & chopped

3 c Apricots, chopped

2 c yellow plums, sliced

2 Tb lemon juice

6 c Sugar

In a Dutch oven, combine 2 c each of the peaches & apricots with the

remaining ingredients excepting the margarine. Mash enough to break

the fruit. Stir in the remaining peaches & apricots.

Bring to a slow boil, stirring. Boil, continuing to stir frequently,

for 20 minutes or until setting point is reached.

Ladle into sterile 250mL (half-pint) canning jars leaving 1/2" headspace. Wipe

rim & seal. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath. Remove,

cool, label & store.

Cranapple Relish

(from _Canadian Living_ magazine)

For each pint of relish:

2 apples

1 1/2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

1/4 cup golden raisins

4 tsp cider vinegar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

dash hot pepper sauce

Peel, core, and chop apples. Chop cranberries coarsely. In heavy saucepan,

stir together apples, cranberries, 3/4 cup water, sugar, onion, raisins, vinegar, cinnamon,

salt, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer,

stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thickened and no liquid remains. Ladle into hot sterilized jars and seal. (Or simply refrigerate for up to 3 days.)

* I never bother to chop the cranberries.

* I assumed processing was 20 minutes, like for applesauce.

Comments (150)

• cabrita
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ucchini-banana-date-spice bread (or muffins)

3 cups zucchini shredded finely
    4 bananas, mashed
    3 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup strong hot coffee
    1 1/4 cups pitted minced dates
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups brown sugar
    1/2 cup yellow raisins
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    3 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground nutmeg
    3 tsp grated fresh ginger

Pour hot coffee on minced dates and let soak a few minutes. Add
    bananas, mash, and add all the sugar and spices, salt. Squeeze juice
    from shredded zucchini and set aside (use in a soup or veggie stock or
    in mix if too dry). Add drained shredded zucchini to the
    banana-coffee-date mix. Add raisins, pecans and sift flour with soda
    and baking powder. Add flour mix into zucchini banana mix and stir
    lightly. It should not be very wet, use some reserved zucchini juice
    if too dry. Pour batter in oiled muffin tins or in oiled bread pan
    and bake at 350F oven for 15-20-30-45 minutes (depending on type of
    pan, muffins take a lot less, small muffin tins even less, a large
    bread pan will be closer to 45 minutes).

• dillydee8930
    15 years ago

OK I plan on making apple chutney this weekend i never made it and dont even know what to use it on but it sounds good, (karen b's chutney)
    i was thinking maybe on baked pork chops? heck i dont know.
    I did make mango salsa and it has alot of the same ingredients the apple chutney has, i am all out of it already, hubby liked it on burgers, brats, hotdogs, ect ect i had a small bite out of one jar,(and liked the taste) but i did only make 4 pints and i sent some out to my family back home
    Any way i have a problem i cant find a red pepper around here (unless i want to go 45 miles round trip) or red hot peppers so i was wondering if i could use red roasted peppers (from a jar) (in place of the sw red peppers) and red hot pepper flakes for the red hot peppers and how much hot pepper would i use?
    So many great recipes on here I DONT KNOW WHERE TO START!

Annie1992 your pear mincemeat sounds awsome!!

jude31 spinach con queso i am not to crazy about spinach but hubby is and i think i would be willing to try this thanks!
    And all the breads and jams yum, think i better copy and paste so i can be sure to have all these recipes. :0

thank you all
    dillydee

• kimmid
    15 years ago

Hello All...
    Long time no post.. hehe
    I am making lots of stuff tonight and wanted to check something so I would post a hi!!! and bump my favorite thread.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Good thing you brought it back as it was getting close to the end, and next is the 'twilight zone', where is usually lost forever.

• melva02
    15 years ago

Are threads really dropping off the end within two months of the last post on them? That's sad. I'm sure there are forums even more active than ours...you would think Gardenweb could do better, especially these days when storage is so cheap. Thanks for saving this one.

Melissa

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The last thread number 67 has dates of July and August 2007. Some threads stay on longer if they are brought back up again, but many have dropped off before 2005 and 2006. It used to be that we had only 10 pages of threads, with a smaller amount of posts within each. The iVillage has expanded that about a year ago.

• marymilkweed
    14 years ago

Many great recipes on this thread. I copied and pasted many of them to try in the future. We don't want to lose them, so bump!

• gardnpondr
    14 years ago

I'm printing away to and bumping.....lol
    I used to stay on the garden junk side and Spike did not like for us to bump a thread.

• mrswhlbarrow
    14 years ago

I'm so happy to see this thread back from last year (and the year before and the year before).
    I have no recipes to add at this moment, but wanted to point out that the Plum Sauce is amazing!
    I used it all winter for a quick meal --

Asian Style Pork Tenderloin

Take a boneless pork tenderloin and sear on all sides in a hot, lightly oiled saute pan.

Place tenderloin in a baking dish, slather about 1/2 a jar of plum sauce all over the meat, and bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes.

Remove from oven and let the meat rest, covered with foil, for 10 min.

Heat remaining jar of sauce gently and spoon on the plate, fan out four or five slices of pork over the sauce.

Voila! Fancy-schmancy dinner in less than 30 min.

Enjoy,
    Cathy

• mrswhlbarrow
    14 years ago

I'm so happy to see this thread back from last year (and the year before and the year before).
    I have no recipes to add at this moment, but wanted to point out that the Plum Sauce is amazing!
    I used it all winter for a quick meal --

Asian Style Pork Tenderloin

Take a boneless pork tenderloin and sear on all sides in a hot, lightly oiled saute pan.

Place tenderloin in a baking dish, slather about 1/2 a jar of plum sauce all over the meat, and bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes.

Remove from oven and let the meat rest, covered with foil, for 10 min.

Heat remaining jar of sauce gently and spoon on the plate, fan out four or five slices of pork over the sauce.

Voila! Fancy-schmancy dinner in less than 30 min.

Enjoy,
    Cathy

• bcskye
    14 years ago

This thread is a treasure and I hope it never ends. Guess I'd better start cutting and pasting just in case it does.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I have to bump on here and state that my salsa recipe posted was the original recipe. After a lot of testing and changes, the final/changed/tested recipe is to be waterbath canned with a minimum of one cup of vinegar, and done in pints only.

Please update the files, if anyone is using the old recipe.

Annie

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

This is a favorite of mine and I'm pretty sure it came from "Small Batch Preserving". This also is amazing with goat cheese (or any cheese really), some crusty bread, and a glass of wine. It doesn't last long in our house!

I'm sorry, I wish I had noted what the yield was for this, but didn't copy it over. I think it makes 4 half pints.

Roasted Red Pepper Spread

6 lb. large red sweet peppers
    1 lb. Roma tomatoes
    2 large garlic cloves
    1 small white onion
    2 Tbsp. minced basil
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. coarse salt
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Roast peppers under broiler or on a grill at 425 degrees until skin wrinkles and chars in spots. Turn over and roast other side. Remove from heat. Place in a paper bag, secure opening, cool 15 minutes. Roast tomatoes, onion, and garlic under broiler or grill 10 - 15 minutes. Place tomatoes in a paper bag. Peel onion and garlic. Finely mince onion and garlic.
    Measure 1/4 cup and set aside. Peel and seed tomatoes and peppers. Puree in food processor or blender. Combine in a large pan. Bring to a boil over med.high heat, stir to prevent sticking. Reduce heat, simmer until spread thickens. Ladle hot spread into hot jars, leave 1/4 inch headspace. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

• aunt_kate
    14 years ago

Make your favorite blueberry jam recipe and add chipotle powder -- start with 1 or 1.5 tsp per 2 pints berries, and see how you like the level of warmth.

Inspired by a commercial "Blueberry Chipotle Grill Sauce" that I used on roast beef sandwiches, roast pork sandwiches, and even PB&J.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

it's not a recipe, it's a tip from my Uncle Marty: Those dilled green beans are a great swizzle stick for Bloody Mary's.

Now that I think of it, he makes those with Shirley's Vegetable Juice Cocktail too...

Annie

• auntnete
    14 years ago

Taylor's Wet Eye Salsa

30 whole Ripe Tomatoes
    6 whole Green Bell Peppers, Chopped
    8 whole Large Onion, Chopped
    2 whole Jalepeno Peppers (seeded And Chopped)
    ½ cups White Vinegar
    Salt To Taste
    Preparation Instructions
    Drop tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds then plunge into ice water. This will allow you to slip skin right off.
    Cut up peeled tomatoes, onions , bell peppers, hot peppers add vinegar and salt. Keep adding salt till you reach the desired taste.

Pour in pint jars and process in water bath for about 10 minutes.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sorry auntnete but that isn't a safe salsa recipe for BWB canning - fresh eating fine. But that isn't enough acid for all those low acid vegetables unless you pressure can it.

Salsa recipes are currently undergoing extensive testing at U of GA and since they are eaten fresh from the jar with no additional cooking they have to be acidified down to safe pH levels going INTO the jar.

Dave

Dave

• auntnete
    14 years ago

We have pear trees everywhere, and this is a huge hit!

Ingredients
    1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple with syrup
    16 cups (about 6 pounds) peeled, cored, and chopped pears
    10 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Special Equipment: 12 to 16 (1/2-pint) canning jars with lids
    Directions
    Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook until pears are tender and mixture thickens, approximately 30 minutes. Transfer to sterilized jars and seal while still hot*.

*Cook's Note: Follow USDA guidelines for proper sterilization and canning procedures.

• auntnete
    14 years ago

Wow, I have been making it for almost 7 years. Last year I made over 200 pints (which is the most I have ever made in one year) Never had a problem.

• temiha
    14 years ago

I love reading all these recipes...Keep them coming...
    Bump

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Totally unrelated to home canning and such, but its a favorite of mine since I was a kid and my mom made cakes filled with it for our birthdays. Simple recipe.
    Cream filling:

3 tablespoons flour (instant type is best to reduce lumps)
    1/2 cup milk
    scant 1/2 cup shortening with part butter
    1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda for sugar free)
    1 tsp. vanilla

Carefully mix milk and flour together to avoid lumps. Cook over low to medium heat until it thickens to a stiff paste. Place shortening and butter mix in a small mixing bowl with the sugar. Mix them at medium and then high speed for about 1-2 minutes. Once the cooked milk and flour paste has cooled to lukewarm (NOT HOT!), add it to the sugar shortening mixture. Mix in the vanilla, and a dash of salt and beat at high speed for about 2-3 minutes. You end up the a nice cream filling better tasting than what you find in Hostess Twinkies. Its spread bewteen cake layers and any left over can go ito the frosting. I make chocolate muffins and use a pastry bag to 'inject' the filling into the muffins, just like a Hostess cupcake.

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

I'm intrigued with Ken's recipe for the "Hostess Twinkie Cream" recipe. I'm sure you remembered this recently because you were having memories of your mother's birthday cakes.

I'll have to try this -- not because it's healthy, but it's something that would be fun to cook up with our granddaughter. (And maybe she'll even let me lick the bowl!) Thanks.

Kathy in Washington

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

If you like it to be a chocolate flavor, add some unsweetend cocoa, about 2-3 tablespoons when creaming the shortening sugar, and increase the sugar by 1/4 cup. Never add any granulated sugar AFTER the milk flour paste is mixed in, as it will be gritty and wil not dissolve. Its the slight warmth of the paste that mixes with the granulated sugar that mkes it dissolve.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I'm not Leesa (sounds like a song LOL!) but I did find some great sounding recipes here and thought there might be some other new-ish people that would appreciate this thread so I am bumping it.

Thanks to all the contributors for this wealth of info!

Alexa

• kamine80
    13 years ago

I have got to try Ken's cream filling!!! I have lurked around here for a long time and very happy to see this thread is still going pretty strong after all this time. One of the better threads on here many great things to try still.

• okie-girlgardener
    13 years ago

I LOVE that I found this thread... Bumping up!

Thanks everyone!!!

• pyxiwulf
    13 years ago

I'm so excited for the creme filling! I saw a recipe that appears to be that one on Paula's Party or whatever that show is, and they all said it was just like Twinkie filling! But I didn't get the recipe, so YAY!

• MLcom
    13 years ago

Ah was looking for a Zuchinni bread recipie and here it is above.
    Lots of goodies here to drool over

ML

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Bumping, because I have to keep looking for it.

• leesa_b
    13 years ago

I finally got back in - yes I haven't been around for a few years - too busy canning (wink wink). I have won lots of sweepstakes ribbons at our county fair - including two best of shows in the last few years. I was searching for some recipes and got back on and was so surprised to find the thread back yet again. Will try to get on more often!!! Keep canning!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Someone asked me to post the recipe for the Rotel-type Tomatoes so here it is.

Canned Rotel-Type Tomatoes and Hot peppers. This is based on the NCHFP recipe linked below.

5 lbs. tomatoes peeled (optional) and coarsely chopped but do not drain as you need the liquid.
    2 lbs. coarsely chopped hot peppers (we use jalapenos and Hungarian hot wax and only remove the stem)
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped (optional)
    1 cup 5% vinegar
    2 tsp. canning salt (optional)
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in large non-reactive pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 mins. Taste and adjust season as needed. Fill jars leaving 1/2" headspace and process in BWB for 15 mins. Yield 4-6 pints.

Options:
    peeling the tomatoes is optional
    removing the pepper seeds is optional
    1 T sugar is optional and we use it
    onions are optional
    When we make it we sub 1/2 cup bottled lime juice for 1/2 cup of the vinegar and we use cider vinegar rather than white but either is ok.

Dave

• leesa_b
    13 years ago

Dave -

Thanks! I asked for it - can't wait to try it. - Leesa B

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

bump to save

• basket1weaver
    12 years ago

Thanks for recipes. My 2nd year canning coming up.

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Bumping! I'm about to start canning this weekend for the first time this season.

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Oh My Goodness!

Homemade Cream Filled Chocolate Muffins!! I must try that!

My garden was pretty much a bust this year due to the drought and illnesses.

I canned for the first time last year, starting with Peach Salsa that I found here as well as Hot Pepper Jelly.

I'm hoping and planning for a better garden next year.

I don't ever want to loose this thread.
    I may even try my luck at saving it to a file, even though I'm very computer helpless/hopeless.

Thanks for all of the recipes,
    Betty

• gardnpondr
    12 years ago

YUM that cream filling DOES sound yummy! I copied that one to. Can't believe this thread is still going strong! :) Glad it IS though!

• roandco
    12 years ago

This is amazing...I used a good wine and $$balsamic vinegar and it was out of this world!! So far I've tried it in a grilled cheese and of course as a topping on burgers. YUMMY

Caramelized Red Onion Relish

2 large red onions, peeled
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 cup dry red wine
    3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1/8 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper

Slice onions into very thin slices. Combine onions and sugar in a heavy non-stick skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes or until onions turn golden and start to caramelize, stirring frequently.

Stir in wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove jars from canner and ladle relish into jars leaving a 1/2 headspace. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes for half-pint jars.

Copied from: http://www.sbcanning.com/2010/11/carmelized-onion-this-is-prize-winner.html

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

After a couple days of rain I found a couple baseball bats in my zucchini patch. So I tried Zabby's Zucchini Bread recipe. It is fantastic! I have 24 muffins ready for the freezer. I think I'll make a couple more batches to use up the rest of those baseball bats!

I did adapt it a bit to lower the fat content. I only used 1/4 cup of oil and instead added 1 cup of fruit puree (in this case clementine). And no raisins.

• sewcrazynurse
    11 years ago

bump!!!!

• PNWGirl
    11 years ago

Adding a bump!
    Got a LOT of great receipes from this thread! If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, it's a great medium for saving the receipes. I click on "clip this post" and when it opens for only that post, I click on the "Convert to PDF" button. Save it to my "Canning Receipes" folder. Only takes second from start to finish. I can also send it to my phone when I go shopping.

• JessicaInOhio
    11 years ago

BUMP
    PNWGirl- Thanks for the Adobe tip!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

bump

• msmarieh
    10 years ago

Even non-canners ask for the recipe when they try this Blueberry Citrus Conserve. It's from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (I think it's in the Ball Blue Book too - in fact, I think it was in the 1960s version my Mother in law recently gave me!!!). It's PHENOMENAL.

Blueberry Citrus Conserve
    Makes about 4 (8 oz) half pints
    Citrus fruits enhance the rich, earthy flavor of blueberries in this luscious royal blue conserve. Serve it with bread or as a condiment with ham or smoked meats.

4 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    1 small lemon (unpeeled), seeded and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup orange (unpeeled), seeded and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup raisins
    4 cups blueberries
    4 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
    1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2.) COMBINE sugar and water in a large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add lemon and orange slices and raisins. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes. Add blueberries, increase heat to high and return to boil. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 5 to 10 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and test gel. If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.
    3.) LADLE hot conserve into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    4.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Another fantastic recipe also from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving is Strawberry Lemon Marmalade.

Strawberry Lemon Marmalade
    Makes about 7 (8 oz) half pints
    Lemon shares the stage with strawberries, a summer favorite, in this sweet, red-hued marmalade.

1/4 cup thinly sliced lemon peel (about 2 large)
    4 cups crushed strawberries (about 4 1-lb containers)
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    6 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit® Classic Pectin
    6 cups sugar
    7 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2.) COMBINE lemon peel and water to cover in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 5 minutes, until peel is softened. Drain and discard liquid. Return peel to pan.
    3.) ADD strawberries and lemon juice to peel and mix well. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
    4.) ADD entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary.
    5.) LADLE hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
    6.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Quick Tip:
    Use lime peel and lime juice in place of lemon for a Strawberry Lime Marmalade.

I also love the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving Taco Sauce recipe. It's delicious. I don't buy it at the store anymore.

Taco Sauce
    Makes about 6 (8 oz) half pints
    If you love tacos, you will want to keep this taco sauce on hand. Follow the easy directions and preserve with waterbath canning.

5 cups water
    3 cups tomato paste (about 2 12-oz cans)
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup corn syrup
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp salt
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    6 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

2.) COMBINE water, tomato paste, vinegar, corn syrup, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper and hot pepper sauce in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial barbecue sauce, about 30 minutes.
    3.) LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
    4.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Those are just a few of my favorites, but there's a lot more out there! :)

• Christina818
    10 years ago

WOW there are a bunch of great ideas here! I am not sure if I should post this here or not. Many years ago I had a great recipe for canning jalapenos but I stopped canning for a few years and lost it. I have been back to canning now for about 5 years and have been thinking about those wonderful jalapenos. I remember that it had sugar, vinegar, onion , jalapenos and maybe carrots. Does anyone have a canning recipe for jalapenos? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
    ~Tina~

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

Really? No new favorites for a year? I personally don't have any because I am just now learning to can although I have been a lurker on this forum for years and feel I know some of you extremely well. Hope you don't feel hunted :)

I am bumping this thread because recently I was looking for Carol's Confetti Jelly and couldn't find it on this forum! Panicked. Had to do an internet search to find it. I don't want this thread to get lost either so am bumping it.

• booberry85
    9 years ago

We're almost to the point of making this a "Part 2!" I have two new favorites this year. Both of them come from "Ball Complete Book of Home Perservation." One is the carrot cake jam, although I'll confess, when this is cooking down it does not look pretty, but its delicious! The other is the Chocolate Raspberry Sundae Topping (Sauce). I used an immersion blender to get a smooth texture. So here's the recipes:

Carrot Cake Jam

Sweetened with crushed pineapple and spices, this sunny fall jam tastes just like carrot cake. It makes a perfect gift for any occasion.

Level of Ease:
    Medium

Preserving Method:
    Waterbath Canning

You Will Need:

1-1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
    1-1/2 cups chopped cored peeled pears
    1-3/4 cups chopped pineapple, including juice
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    6 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit⢠Classic Pectin
    6-1/2 cups sugar

Directions:

PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    COMBINE carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
    ADD sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
    LADLE hot carrot cake jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
    PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Chocolate Raspberry Sauce

This incredible chocolate raspberry sauce has limitless potential! It is decadent, rich and fantastically versatile. Serve over ice cream, cheesecake or fruit. It makes a sure-to-be-appreciated hostess gift.

Level of Ease:
    Easy

Preserving Method:
    Waterbath Canning
    You Will Need:

1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
    6 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit⢠Classic Pectin
    4-1/2 cups crushed red raspberries
    6-3/4 cups granulated sugar
    4 Tbsp. lemon juice

Directions:

PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    COMBINE cocoa powder and pectin in a medium glass bowl, stirring until evenly blended. Set aside.
    COMBINE crushed raspberries and lemon juice in a large stainless steel saucepan. Whisk in pectin mixture until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
    LADLE hot raspberry sundae topper into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
    PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Happy Canning!

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I've copied both your recipes to try, booberry, but I have a question. I will probably have a few raspberries in the fall, but lots of blackberries right now I need to use up. Do you think it would be possible to put the blackberries through a food mill & use instead of raspberries? I know everyone says chocolate & raspberries go together, never heard of chocolate & blackberries, but can chocolate be bad with anything?

• booberry85
    9 years ago

I love blackberries! I don't see a problem with substituting blackberries. The only thing I can think of with blackberries is the seeds are a little larger. I made blackberry jam last year (I had a bumper crop of blackberries, but not this year) and no one had a problem with the seeds.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Thanks booberry! I don't have a problem at all with blackberry seeds, although if I gave it as a gift (which I may very well) I think I would run it through a food mill. It always surprises me that a food mill gets so many seeds out, the holes look too big, but it works very well. I'll give it a try & let you know how it is.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x